Open PDF files via current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC failed

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slam

Open PDF files via current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC failed

Post by *Slam »

I have installed latest Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for viewing PDF files.

If I click on PDF file in File Explorer (latest Windows 10 Pro 64 bit), everything is OK (I see 1 instance of "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32 bit)" in Task Manager as App).

If I click on PDF file in latest final Total Commander v9.0a 64 bit, nothing show (I see 2 - why 2? - instances of "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32 bit)" in Task Manager as Background processes and I must kill them to show the PDF files again).

WORKAROUND: I must first run Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, then I can show PDF files by clicking in TC.
NoBoDy Is PeRfEcT! ™
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a known misfeature of Adobe reader which happens when you run TC with higher user rights (as administrator). It happens because Adobe Reader is preloaded in the background, running as a normal user. When you then try to open a document, it would be passed to the already running instance - but this fails due to the Windows security restrictions.

Solution: Either do not run TC as admin, or use a Lister plugin to view PDFs, or a different PDF viewer.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Slam

Post by *Slam »

Thanks for quick reply and solution!
NoBoDy Is PeRfEcT! ™
DogM

Post by *DogM »

I had same problem (Windows 10 Pro x64, TC as admin and Adobe Reader DC as standard user) and solved it by this:
Open Adobe Reader. Navigate to Edit menu / Preferences / Security Enhances. Disable the Protected mode.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think that is a much safer to use TC in non-elevated mode than disabling Adobe Reader protected mode...
HellBender

Post by *HellBender »

DogM wrote: solved it by this:
Open Adobe Reader. Navigate to Edit menu / Preferences / Security Enhances. Disable the Protected mode.
Had same problem, but couldn't turn off admin rights on TC cause I can't access other devises. But turning of security in Adobe reader works like a charm.

Greets
nameispalmer

Re: Open PDF files via current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC failed

Post by *nameispalmer »

Classic, I would say. I faced the same thing twice and I think there is no matter of version: for the first time, it was 64-bit, and 32 for the second. And I guessed there was the deal with Adobe exactly, not TC, because there was no any other program that was malfunctioning in the same way. After that, I replaced Acrobat with this tool >>>https: // w9 .pdffiller <dot> com<<< because it's online and works way more stable. And in addition, it fits well for purposes of reading and making amends to documents
Slam

Post by *Slam »

@DogM
Because the problem still persists in the current version 2019.008.20080 of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, I thank you very much for the handy solution!
NoBoDy Is PeRfEcT! ™
Impeeza

Post by *Impeeza »

Hello there, after almost 4 years with this problem I found the solution, Adobe Acrobat by default if is executed as administrator it put on a isolated mode, and if is invoked by another program on administrator mode, doesn't even shown any dialog on screen but the process kept on background.

The solution is simple but involve lower the default security of Adobe Acrobat.

Start Adobe Acrobat from Start Menu, then go to "Edit" -> "Preferences"

Then on the left list of items select "Security (Enhanced)" On right dialog, remove the tick of the option "Enable Protected Mode at startup", and for the "Protected View" select "off" radio button option.

Close Adobe Acrobat and now from Total Commander on Admin mode you can double click or press enter over a PDF File and the Adobe will be Shown normally.

The solution was taken from: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/acrobat-reader-dc-won-t-launch/m-p/11580319

on that post they use the registry to directly edit the value.
Impeeza jaja