Lister: custom font size ignored

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

browny

Lister: custom font size ignored

Post by *browny »

Windows 8.1 or 10, TC 9.12 64-bit.
In Lister, select Options - Configure... - ANSI
By default it was Fixedsys, Regular, 10; and that was the only size.
Enter a bigger value in the entry field for the size, press OK.
For example, 14 gives a clear distinction.
Now when openting files in Lister there could be either the default 10 or the new 14.

Here is a small archive with two files for the test.
Binary difference between the files is evident.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Not confirmed. Lister uses the exact same font settings, including size, for both files in the archive (TC 9.12 x64 on Win7 x64). Try to reproduce it with a clean wincmd.ini.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Not confirmed either. The two files looks the same in Lister when ANSI is set to use Fixedsys. FixedSys only comes in one size, so there should not be any difference, no matter what size you write in the size field in the font setting dialog.

BTW, on all my systems 9 is the default and only available size for the fixedsys font - not 10.

BTW2, you sample file size10 is UTF-8 encoded, while your size14 file is not.

Could you maby provide some screenshots that illustrates your observation?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
browny

Post by *browny »

Dalai wrote:Lister uses the exact same font settings, including size
How exact same goes together with not confirmed?
It was expected the sizes to be different.

Please try to add the following line to the [Lister] section (possibly, any code page number will do), then view the sample files again in the Lister:

Code: Select all

Codepage=1258
Or select Encoding from the main menu.

Here are the screenshots (where 10 in caption should have been renamed to 9, but for this report it does not matter what exactly was the default).
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Well, it looks like MS Windows uses its fallback mechanism here.

In general it is meant for cases where a document uses a font which is not available on your windows installation.
Windows just substitutes the font with one that is similar to the missing one.

The fixedsys font is a raster font, which means it is not sizable.
In your case you set a font with a size which is not available => Windows substitutes it.
#5767 Personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

browny wrote:How exact same goes together with not confirmed?
It was expected the sizes to be different.
Lister uses the exact font settings I specify for both files, regardless of font name and size. If I set Fixedsys size 10, then Lister uses Fixedsys size 10. If I set Fixedsys size 24 then Lister uses that. If I set Courier New size 22 then Lister will use that. Again: for both files.

Here's what it looks like with Courier New size 22. Don't take the image file name too seriously; although it says TC 8.52a (and it indeed shows that version) I checked it in TC 9.12 x64 - the result is the same.
Please try to add the following line to the [Lister] section (possibly, any code page number will do), then view the sample files again in the Lister:

Code: Select all

Codepage=1258
Why should I? Lister is able to detect the codepage from the files' contents, and it does even in this case since one of your files is shown as UTF-8 while the other is not.
Here are the screenshots (where 10 in caption should have been renamed to 9, but for this report it does not matter what exactly was the default).
Lister obviously uses a monospace font for only one of the files. It's a completely different font for the two, not just the size.Take a look at Lister's Options menu to see if one of the files is shown as ASCII or something. And try changing all three fonts to find out which one is used.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
browny

Post by *browny »

sqa_wizard wrote:Well, it looks like MS Windows uses its fallback mechanism here.
Of course it does.

But there is a catch.
With some files after changing font size in Lister's Options the text is displayed in enlarged font. Exit lister, open the same file again - it would be in small font size. Enter Options - Configure... and press OK without doing anyting else, and the font size magically gets enlarged as before.
You could try it with size10 file.
Last edited by browny on 2017-12-02, 18:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
browny

Post by *browny »

Dalai wrote:Why should I? Lister is able to detect the codepage from the files' contents, and it does even in this case since one of your files is shown as UTF-8 while the other is not.
What would be the reasons for the existence of big Encoding menu?
Lister can only try to guess codepage. Especially when there is no BOM.
Dalai wrote:Take a look at Lister's Options menu to see if one of the files is shown as ASCII or something.
Both are ANSI; but one is Text, another one UTF-8.
As if for UTF-8 Lister ignores custom font size (and Encoding menu gets disabled, by the way).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

There seem to be two kind of substituting taking place - one if another encoding is chosen than the default for the font (here 1258 in stead of 1252) - and another one if the size is chosen too much bigger than default.

If I choose encoding 1252 (or "As configured for current Font") - I see the normal Fixedsys font for sizes up to 17, but when I chose size 18, the font is suddenly remarkably enlarged - but looks like an enlarged raster font with uneven edges. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/listerfont1.png )

On the other hand if I set the size to 11 and change the encoding to 1255 the font changes to a much thinner and smoother font, which is obviously not Fixedsys. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/listerfont2.png )

Another observation (still with encoding set to 1255) - If I set the ANSI font to default by chosing the "default" checkbox and click the font button the selected font in the Font setting dialog is shown as: Fixedsys, regular, 11. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/listerfont3.png )

But If I then click the OK-button in the Font setting dialog and close Listers settings dialog the font is now shown as a thin vector font with this "manual" setting that suposedly should be the same as the setting when using the "default" option in Listers settings. ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/listerfont4.png ).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar