v 9.12 freezes on copying Polish filename on Russian Win XP

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nemadeka

v 9.12 freezes on copying Polish filename on Russian Win XP

Post by *nemadeka »

I was using some 7.xx version when I saw that TC halts on copying a PDF file downloaded from Polish Embassy website.

I installed version 9.12, and is freezes too.

The copy progress box does not respond to clicks or key presses, I kill TC via Task Manager, but TOTAL...EXE remains in memory, I cannot reboot, standby, I have to "hard-reset" my laptop.

This happens when I copy the file between hard drive folders, and when I copy the file to an external USB hard drive.

If I copy the file across LAN to a shared partition of a Win7Rus system, copying goes fine.

Explorer copies the file OK.

This is insane. I thought that a file manager must be able to copy files.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Try starting TC with default settings via

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i="%temp%\fresh.ini"
to see if any settings are the culprit. Also: How exactly do you copy the file? How large is this file? Can you rule out any hard drive and file-system damage?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: v 9.12 freezes on copying Polish filename on Russian Win

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

nemadeka wrote:The copy progress box does not respond to clicks or key presses, I kill TC via Task Manager, but TOTAL...EXE remains in memory, I cannot reboot, standby, I have to "hard-reset" my laptop.
This is extremely fishy and sounds like a problem with your system beyond Total Commander. That you are not even able to kill the Total Commander process, nor be able to shutdown your machine, suggests that there is some kernel component tripping up. Since we are speaking about file copy operations, this would most likely be some 3rd-party file system filter driver/minidriver, or 3d-party mass storage device driver. (This assumption is also supported by the fact that copy operations over LAN do not cause a hang.)

As you might perhaps know, TC supports a variety of modes for copying files. It could be that the mode used by your TC is tripping up a possible 3rd-party kernel driver installed on your system.

Please check if you can avoid the system hang by choosing a different copy mode in TC (TC configuration dialog, section "Operation", sub section "Copy/Delete").
nemadeka

Post by *nemadeka »

Thanks a lot for the tips, I now know where to look.
I'll come back after the holidays and report about the results.
Happy New Year!
nemadeka

Solved

Post by *nemadeka »

I remembered that Avast free antivirus has recently updated its core program.
The problem began after this.
After uninstalling Avast free antivirus I do not have the problems described above.
Thanks again for your wise hints!
RockyRG

Changing copy settings really solves the problem

Post by *RockyRG »

I had the same problem now after reinstalling Nvidia driver (at TC 9.0).
Strange is, that a driver upgrade was unsuccessful, I tried to reinstall the old one, but it was unsuccessful too. The solution was installation from Windows Device Manager, instead of the own installer. So now I have the same version of the driver as before, the only difference is the installation method.
And now this copy/move problem came up. The first file will be copied, but it never ends, TC hangs, the process cannot be killed, the copied file remains locked.
But I tried the mentioned configuration change at Copy/Delete, and it works now fine. :)
Thank you.