cm_100percent: moving the split between the two panels

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Config..>thumbnails>Database location "%$LOCAL_APPDATA%\GHISLER"(C:\Users\Jimmy\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER)

I feel like I should change this to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd
(the directory where I have installed total commander)

Is this a bad idea? How much of a bad idea is this?
Unless you have manually given yourself writing permissions to the C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd folder, TC will not be able to write to files (.ini files, thumbnail files and others) unless you have launched TC with Administrator rights, which is not recommendable for general everyday use - so keep your thumbnail files away from C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd.
I have been having a huge about of trouble because I have been creating usercmd.ini files and putting them into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd" directory and not the C:\Users\Jimmy\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER
Sorry that was my fault for writing that you had to edit the usercmd.ini in TC's program folder - I forgot to take into consideration that you could have your TC installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files" - I have now edited my previous posting.
I created a button on the buttonbar with command "cm_CommandBrowser" pressing it and
scrolling to the usercmd.ini section and creating a new command in there results in:
[em_usercmd1]
button=
cmd=cm_SrcShort

which results in an error. What is the correct way to open up the "Choose Command" dialog box, so that it would create the following instead?:
[em_usercmd1]
cmd=cm_SrcShort
It should not matter whether you have the button= line or not.
I've been looking around in the F1 help menu to try and find a list of them.
It is in the Menu: "Help" -> "Keyboard" ("Help" is on the far right of the Menu-bar)
Also available in the file keyboard.txt
Or in the Help under "Operation" -> "Keyboard layout"
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JimmyTheBroker

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

Unless you have manually given yourself writing permissions to the C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd folder..

TC with Administrator rights, which is not recommendable for general everyday use
I'm the only person who uses this computer (personal computer) and I absolutely hate having to "open as administrator".. I am the administrator!
How do i give myself the writing permissions.

I'm assuming its done by [Right click on Folder]>Properties.
Is there a way to open as administrator to EVERYTHING on my computer.
For instance, if I run a batch-file I don't want it to get stopped for no reason.
I finally get notifications from emails again!!!
So happy!
JimmyTheBroker

Sorry that was my fault for writing that you had to edit the usercmd.ini in TC's program folder - I forgot to take into consideration that you could have your TC installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files" - I have now edited my previous posting.
All good.

But.. Isn't "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files" the default locations.. Why would you want to install it somewhere else? What benefit would that have? And wouldn't this result in needed to add or change your environmental variables to allow the program to run? (I think?)
I ask purely out of curiosity.
Last edited by JimmyTheBroker on 2018-02-03, 04:56 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
So happy!
JimmyTheBroker

F1>Operation>Keyboard layout
Thanks Petermad!
So happy!
JimmyTheBroker

MVV wrote:One can also use TCFS2 (with TCFS2Tools module) for setting splitter position, also increment/decrement it for a givel value.

Increase current panel width by 10%:

Code: Select all

TCFS2.exe /ei sp_inc
Decrease current panel width by 10%:

TCFS2.exe /ei sp_dec
Set current panel width to 60%:

TCFS2.exe /ei set_separator(60)

Is TCFS2 a plugin? or in the standard TC?
So happy!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

JimmyTheBroker wrote:... but ideally want just two hotkeys that move the partition leftwards and rightwards (ideally without changing the panel currently selected too.)...
I think these two buttons are very close to your wish:

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cm_VerticalPanels,cm_100Percent

wcmicons.dll,23
cm_VerticalPanels,cm_100Percent|– Enlarge the active panel with window width 50% to 100%|– Reset to 50/50 with next button (<–||–>)

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cm_VerticalPanels,cm_50Percent

wcmicons.dll,37
cm_VerticalPanels,cm_50Percent|– Reset the active window to 50% (FIRST press the BUTTON on the LEFT).|– If only this button is pressed several times, then between|   cm_VerticalPanels and cm_50Percent is switched back and forth.

EDIT:
1) small correction made to the tooltip of the 2nd button: cm_VerticalPanels (100%) -> cm_VerticalPanels
2) in general, the buttons serve to widen the active panel to 100% and then reset it back to 50:50 while preserving View Modes, etc.
Last edited by tuska on 2018-02-05, 10:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I'm the only person who uses this computer (personal computer) and I absolutely hate having to "open as administrator".. I am the administrator!
How do i give myself the writing permissions.
If you run TC as Administrator all the time - then there is also the risk that TC can be used to execute malware. To run TC as Adminitrator is not quite the same as being logged in to Windows as Administrator

You change the permissions for a folder or a file by right clicking it, choosing Properties and then use the Security tab to change the permissions for "Users".
But.. Isn't "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files" the default locations.. Why would you want to install it somewhere else?
To avoid having to set permissions for ini-files etc. If you make the installation directory yourself, you will also have write permission to that directory.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is TCFS2 a plugin? or in the standard TC?
It is an external helper program, that you have to download.
License #524 (1994)
JimmyTheBroker

tuska wrote:I think these two buttons are very close to your wish:
Awesome, I love it. those 2 buttons are really cool.
However I think they will be better as hotkeys.
I will give it a shot and see if I can get a hotkey out of it (I'm pretty sure I 've done this before.) I'll let you know how I go.

... Just had an idea. Tuska, would it be possible to have both commands as one hotkey? It would switch between the two commands. Eg, if 100/0 or 0/100 then do the 50/50? Would that be possible?

Thanks,
Jimmy.
So happy!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

JimmyTheBroker wrote:However I think they will be better as hotkeys.
The buttons should serve as a demonstration.
I already have created em_commands and for me the key combinations Alt + Y and Alt + X selected.

Btw, the easiest way to find out if a shortcut is not used is under Configuration - Options - Misc. ->
choose an hotkey by clicking one or more keys (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Win):
1. If "Default command (no remapping)" is displayed, then this key or key combination is not used ***)
    ***) EDIT: I'm sorry, this statement is not correct! ...
    Please call here the help (F1) and please pay attention to this point:
    "Warning: It will not be shown whether a hotkey is used internally by Total Commander or not."
2. If something else is displayed in the "Command:" field, you still have the option to abort or override this command.

To get an overview of the already used shortcuts click on Configuration - Options - Misc., then on the drop-down arrow
to the right of "Hotkey" or menu "Help" - "? Keyboard".
JimmyTheBroker wrote:... Just had an idea. Tuska, would it be possible to have both commands as one hotkey? It would switch between the two commands.
    Eg, if 100/0 or 0/100 then do the 50/50? Would that be possible?
No.

But if you just click on the second button (cm_VerticalPanels,cm_50Percent), for example,
you have the advantage of being able to toggle between
a) cm_VerticalPanels (100%) <2 wide windows> and
b) cm_50Percent <2 windows 50:50>
Last edited by tuska on 2018-02-09, 10:25 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Without the use of buttons or shortcuts or em_commands,

the commands
- cm_VerticalPanels,cm_100Percent (see above button 1)
- cm_VerticalPanels,cm_50Percent (see above button 2)
could be used as follows:

1.   View Mode
1.1 Add..., e.g. Movies_View-100pct_View-50pct
1.2 Auto-run commands: cm_VerticalPanels,cm_100Percent|cm_VerticalPanels,cm_50Percent -> Button OK

2.   Auto Switch Mode
2.1 "Automatically switch view mode on directory change:" must be ticked
2.2 Add... - Rule: +: Must match - Directory: e.g. D:\Movies\* (D:\Movies\* including all subfolders)
2.3 Set this mode: Movies_View-100pct_View-50pct (Name of your View Mode!) -> Button OK

Result:
1. Whenever you change to D:\Movies or to a subfolder of D:\Movies,
    then the Auto Switch Mode will switch to the View Mode "Movies_View-100pct_View-50pct" -> cm_VerticalPanels, cm_100Percent. (100/0)
2. If the directory D:\Movies or a subdirectory of D:\Movies is left,
    then the Auto Switch Mode will switch to the View Mode "Movies_View-100pct_View-50pct" -> cm_VerticalPanels,cm_50Percent. (50/50)

Note:
The cm_SrcViewMode0 (Default) command can overrule this View Mode. In this case this would trigger a 50/50 view.
View Mode <Default>: You should define here what you want to get as a view when a View Mode has finished,
especially in the case of a combination with an Auto Switch Mode.