Moving folders within a panel invokes copy>paste action?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hiccup

Moving folders within a panel invokes copy>paste action?

Post by *hiccup »

(preliminary: please be gentle, I'm still a TC novice)

In Windows, when within a panel I drag a folder into another folder on the same drive/partition, the move is pretty much instant.
(probably only some reference in a table has to be rewritten)

In TC, when I drag a folder to another folder (in the same pane, thus the same drive/partition), a copy/paste performance is evoked.
For large files, that will slow things down considerably.

Is there some setting for this I may have missed/accidentally changed?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

If you want to move files with the mouse you have to press Shift key or the right mouse button before releasing the left mouse button. Explorer's drag'n'drop is inconsistent. D'n'D within the same partition moves files while D'n'D between different partitions copies files. TC always copies unless Shift key (or right mouse key) is pressed before releasing left mouse button.

Note that "left" and "right" in the description above refer to primary and secondary mouse buttons, so in case you swapped mouse buttons (e.g. you're left-handed), just swap left with right and vice versa in the description above :).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
hiccup

Post by *hiccup »

Dalai wrote:Explorer's drag'n'drop is inconsistent. D'n'D within the same partition moves files while D'n'D between different partitions copies files.
Dalai
Thnx again Dalai.

The way Windows behaves in this regard makes sense to me.
And, apart from the amount of 'personal sense', TC is a (great) tool designed to support Windows, isn't it?
Then it could be argued that it is inconsistent of TC that it behaves differently from Window's standards.

If there isn't (yet?), a configuration key to have TC adhere to Window's behaviour in moving files/folders on the same drive/partition, in my opinion it would be very welcome.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

hiccup,
it could be argued that it is inconsistent of TC that it behaves differently from Window's standards
Well, it could also be argued that Windows behaves differently from TC's standards (which came first). ;)
21.02.94 Move with drag&drop also with SHIFT (not only with ALT)
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.