Need help. Folder dissapeared after moving a sub-folder.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

total119

Need help. Folder dissapeared after moving a sub-folder.

Post by *total119 »

I move a 500GB sub-folder from a hard driver to another. Both hard drives are external and connected to my laptop via a bay. The sub-folder was in a main folder which contain 10TB data. I went away and left the folder moving continuing.

When I came back, the moving was not completed and TC prompted me that some files have not been moved. This is normal as the Bay and HD often power-save themselves. But when I exited TC and relaunched it. To my surprise, the main folder is gone.... 10TB stuffs collected over the years. I am completely speechless.

I tried Recuva but no much useful. Just some files fragments founded.

This nasty situation is totally new to me. Please help me to recover the lost files.
total119

Post by *total119 »

TC still shows the hard drive still have 10TB being ghostly occupied. That occupied space must be the lost main folder. But I cannot locate it! Arrrgh.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Files do not just disappear like this. When moving between drives, TC first copies a file, and when it gets the confirmation from the system that it went well, it deletes the original.

Maybe you moved it to a different location than where you looked afterwards, e.g. within the first hard drive, or to a subfolder? Try searching for a known file name.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
total119

Post by *total119 »

HD total space used: 12TB

Main Folder (10TB)
|
L _ _ sub-folder A (500GB)
|
L _ _ sub-folder B etc..

Sub-Folder A was successfully moved (copied to another HD).

But Main Folder is gone. Yet the windows and TC still indicates the HD space being used 11.5TB.

So the Main-Folder must still be somewhere. I search the HD but still can't find it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it's a hidden folder, or within a hidden folder? Try enabling the display of hidden/system files via
Configuration - Options - Display
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com