TC's "EVERYTHING" how to have more databases ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JimmyTheBroker

TC's "EVERYTHING" how to have more databases ?

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

hi guys,

with "EVERYTHING", how can I make it have two or more databases, and let me choose which one it should be using or updating?

Thanks,
Jimmy 8)
I finally get notifications from emails again!!!
So happy!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

The Everything Support Forum should be a good address for this question
or maybe a search in this forum ...
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

The topic for Everything in this case is multiple instances:
http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/multiple_instances/
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
JimmyTheBroker

I have Multiple Instances of Everything stored within:

%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-Home.ini
%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-Work.ini
%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-ZTabs.ini

I want to make em_commands that open up each of the above Everythings:

I know I would need to edit the Usercmd.ini and use something similar to the following:

[em_EverythingHome]
cmd=cmd.exe /c "cd %COMMANDER_DRIVE% & pause"
So happy!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

JimmyTheBroker wrote:... I want to make em_commands that open up each of the above Everythings:...
According to website: Multiple_Instances you should be able to make em_commands or buttons with command:

Code: Select all

%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "Home"
%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "Work"
%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "ZTabs"
Notes on "Service" are also available on the website...

Remark:
After calling: %COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything.exe -instance "Home"
the file Everything-Home.ini and Everything-Home.db is created/called automatically.
JimmyTheBroker

Hi guys,

I have set up TC so that it has multiple "EVERYTHING" which I can choose to run by pressing a button.

The current problem is that when I "Find Files" (Alt+F7) and 'Everything'[ticked] I get the error message >
'Everything' is a search tool and search index for the NTFS File system. Everything isn't installed. Would you like to download it now?

I have read a few of the other threads dating back to 2009 but wasn't able to see a solution.

c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything.exe
c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything.lng
c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-Home.db
c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-Home.ini
c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-Work.db
c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-Work.ini
c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-ZTabs.db
c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything-ZTabs.ini

I ideally I would like the search to use the current "Everything" that I have running.
So happy!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

You could try the following:

Add in wincmd.ini under [Configuration]

Everything=c:\totalcmd\Plug-ins\Everything\Everything.exe -startup
F1 (Help) - Search - everything ... <ENTER> - double-click on "Ini file Settings" -
click with the left mouse button once on the right in the window - Ctrl+F - Search: everything
Everything=Everything.exe -startup
Set location of Everything.exe to run when user checks "Everything" checkbox while Everything isn't running yet.
Without this option, Everything.exe will be searched in the Total Commander folder.

Note: When specifying parameters pointing to a file, like -config, you need to specify the name including full path.
Otherwise Everything will not find the file.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2JimmyTheBroker
tuska wrote:You could try the following:

I would be interested to know if that helped.

Regards
Karl
JimmyTheBroker

tuska wrote:2JimmyTheBroker
tuska wrote:You could try the following:

I would be interested to know if that helped.

Regards
Karl
Using what you've suggested, the current opened EVERYTHING is ignored, and it makes a new instance of EVERYTHING and creates:
Everything.db
Everything.ini

Ideally I want it to use the current running EVERYTHING or at least choose which database to use.

:(
So happy!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2JimmyTheBroker
Sorry, I was wrong. :oops:

While it is possible to open multiple Everything-instances at the same time [and to use only one 'Everything Service' for all instances],
TC is obviously currently using them only to the Everything-main instance, i.e. these must be open, otherwise it comes to the information message.

A selection in the TC search for an Everything-instance does not currently exist.
JimmyTheBroker

No worries, all good!

If it chances, let me know!'

thanks!
So happy!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

There is still a solution ...
HISTORY.TXT wrote:05.12.16 Release Total Commander 9.0a release candidate 2 (32/64)
02.12.16 Added: wincmd.ini, UseEverythingInstance option now supports environment variables (32/64)

30.11.16 Release Total Commander 9.0a release candidate 1 (32/64)
27.11.16 Added: Everything: Support named instances (Everything.exe -instance "somename"):
         wincmd.ini [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance=somename (32/64)
Example
"Everything"-instance-name: "PRIVAT" <in "Everything" the following is displayed above the menu line: Everything (PRIVAT)>
wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini: [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance="PRIVAT"
Link to open TC with specific .ini file Path\To\TOTALCMD64.EXE /i=Path\To\wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini

After invoking a [separate] TC instance via link, the corresponding Everything-instance must be opened before a search query in TC,
otherwise it comes to a information message.

Test1 - One instance:
1. Open a TC instance with wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini via link (see above)
2. Open the "Everything-PRIVAT" instance with button in TC:
    Command: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\Everything\Everything-portabel\Everything.exe -instance "PRIVAT" (adjust path! ...)
3. Search query in TC: Problem-free possible!

Test2 - Two instances:
1. Open the "Everything" instance
2. Open the TC instance with wincmd.ini
3. Open the "Everything-PRIVAT" instance with a button in TC
4. Open the 2nd TC instance with wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini via link
5. Search query in 2nd TC instance with wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini -> OK
6. Search query in TC instance with wincmd.ini -> OK
7. Finish the "Everything" instance and make a search query in the 2nd TC instance with wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini ->
    Result: "Everything" is no longer checked in both TC instances!
    Expected Result: A search query in the 2nd TC instance with wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini should be possible
    because the "Everything-PRIVAT" instance is still open and queries are possible directly in this instance.
8. Close the TC instance with wincmd.ini. The 2nd TC instance with wincmd_Everything-PRIVAT.ini and "Everything-PRIVAT" instance
    is still open. Search query in existing 2nd TC instance ... Result: "Everything" is not checked!

For me, that looks like it currently should be done as in Test Example1.
By the way, there is also the possibility to open a single search result in "Everything" afterwards in TC.

Option (... I defined that for me as a test ...)
Accessing the "Everything Service" of the first instance ("Everything") from a second Everything instance ("Everything (PRIVAT)").
... I do not want to install a second "Everything Service" ...
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22197&sid=4255cbe2f06ba93ca6f5aa55e0d8a4af#p22197

Import in "Everything" instance
Filters and bookmarks can be manually imported into each additional "Everything" instance.
A search history can be imported into an "Everything" instance as well (e.g. file: Search History-PRIVAT.csv will be created/udated):
Ctrl+Shift+H Import... (see: "Tools" > "Options..." > "Keyboard": 'show commands containing' history -> View | Go To | Show All History)
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

"Everything" instances per PC

Post by *tuska »

There is also an interesting Solution per PC for using multiple "Everything" instances.
Based on ...

wincmd.ini [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance=%COMPUTERNAME%
everything.exe -admin -config %COMPUTERNAME%.ini -instance %COMPUTERNAME% -db %COMPUTERNAME%.db
I tried this as follows "Start Everything as Administrator (without Everything Service)"

%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\Everything\Everything-ProPC\Everything.exe -admin 
-config %COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\Everything\Everything-ProPC\%COMPUTERNAME%.ini 
-instance %COMPUTERNAME% -db %COMMANDER_DRIVE%\Tools\Everything\Everything-ProPC\%COMPUTERNAME%.db
Line breaks in the code only for the sake of clarity.
Note: For a button, 259 characters are allowed in the command field - the command line already has 249 characters!

https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/command_line_options/#general
-admin --> Run Everything as an administrator.
-config <filename> --> The filename of the ini file.
-instance <name> --> The name of the Everything instance.
-startup --> Run Everything in the background.
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/command_line_options/#database
-db <filename> --> The filename of the database. ...

"Everything" works as expected but in TC I can not do any search with "Everything" because the box for 'Everything' is unticked
and a message comes from TC: "Everything is not installed! Do you want to download it now?"

Even if "Everything" is not started as administrator but with the "Everything-Service" named "Everything (Computername)",
in TC a search query involving "Everything" is not possible. In this case also comes the aforementioned notice.

-----------------------------
My personal conclusion
Search queries in TC involving "Everything" (in view of a successful search query in TC):
-> No joint use of the "Solution per PC" with instance "Everything" (= main instance) or instance "Everything (PRIVAT)" possible!
-> "Solution per PC": Also with "wincmd.ini [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance=%COMPUTERNAME%" no search query in TC possible!
-> Instance "Everything" (= main instance) AND "Everything (PRIVAT)" together are possible, but the main instance must be active
    and the "Everything-Service" of the main instance has to be started!
-> If the instance "Everything" (= main instance) and the "Everything Service" are started, then a search query in TC is possible

Search queries directly in Everything:
-> These are possible with all instances.
-> Transfer of a single search result in "Everything" to TC is also possible - depending on the settings in "Everything".

I suspect that for a search query in TC involving "Everything" TC only takes the "Everything Service" with name "Everything" into account,
i.e. the service "Everything" must have the status "will be executed"and "Everything" must be opened,
so that in TC a search query with "Everything" can take place.
-----------------------------
HISTORY.TXT wrote:06.02.15 Added: Checkbox to enable/disable "Everything" in search, offer to download if not installed (32/64)
22.06.16 Added: Run "Everything" when the user checks the checkbox and it's not running but located in the Total Commander directory,
          e.g. for portable applications (32/64)
28.06.16 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] Everything=Everything.exe set location of everything to run when it's not running,
          and TC checks "Everything" checkbox (32/64)
27.11.16 Added: Everything: Support named instances (Everything.exe -instance "somename"):
          wincmd.ini [Configuration] UseEverythingInstance=somename (32/64)
02.12.16 Added: wincmd.ini, UseEverythingInstance option now supports environment variables (32/64)
Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?
Does anyone have any advice?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

How to delete a Windows Service in Windows 7,8,10,Vista,XP

Post by *tuska »

Only for completeness:     How to delete a Windows Service in Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, or XP
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-windows-service-in-vista-or-xp/

At your own risk! --->   Please follow the instructions on this topic in the Internet exactly!

Examples:

sc delete Everything
sc delete "Everything (Everything_PRIVAT)"
sc delete "Everything (PC-Name)"
Attention:
If you make a mistake here, then a wrong Windows service may be deleted!
Example:

sc delete Everything (PC-Name)
Result:
Since no quotes were used here, the Windows service Everything, instead of Everything (PC-Name) was deleted!

Tested with:
Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1803 (OS build 17134.112)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, the easiest way to install or uninstall the Everything Service is as follows:
In "Everything": … Tools > Options... > General > Everything Service ...
- TICK     Everything Service --> Everything Service will be installed     (immediately!)
- UNTICK Everything Service --> Everything Service will be uninstalled (immediately!)
See also the tooltip by pointing with the cursor to the entry "Everything Service".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------