<ALT>-<F7> doesn't do anything (Solved: GeForce Experience steal hotkeys)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

waeberd

<ALT>-<F7> doesn't do anything (Solved: GeForce Experience steal hotkeys)

Post by *waeberd »

Hi folks

just installed 9.12 64 bit (2017-11-24) on a new Win10 PC and have a problem:

if I press ALT-F7 Total Commander should display the "search files" dialog, but nothing happens.

ALT-SHIFT-F7 works ("search files in separate process"), but after 20 years ALT-F7 it's *hard* to change my habit.

Is that a bug or some windows setting preventing alt-f7 to work?

Thanks & best regards

Daniel
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It sounds like some program/app is "stealing" the hotkey Alt+F7 by using it system-wide.

This program: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=18189.0;attach=40705 might help you to see IF Alt+F7 is registered for system-wide use - but it connot tell you which program that is doing it.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Do you have nVidia Experience installed? If so, there's your hotkey stealer.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
waeberd

Post by *waeberd »

thank you peter

I think I found the culprit - GeForce Experience seems to steal hotkeys aggressively...

will try to remap that

Thanks again, Daniel
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes it does, it's really annoying. I would understand if it did that only while a game is in foreground or maximized, but not during general Windows usage.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
waeberd

Post by *waeberd »

For the record:

uninstalled "GeForce Experience" (this leaves the driver untouched but removes the invasive utility), rebooted Win10, problem solved!

Thanks & have fun!
Daniel
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the English forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Btw, you don't need to remove it, you can just change the hotkeys via Alt+Z -> click on the cog wheel icon - keyboard shortcuts. Click on a shortcut and press Delete to remove it, or the new shortcut.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, but that way the telemetry crap (which is included in GeForce Experience) stays on the system. IMO it's better to remove GeForce Experience if one doesn't need it. Or even better: don't install it in the first place when installing the nVidia driver package.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
waeberd

Post by *waeberd »

For some reason the GeForce Experience App didn't show up anymore out of the tray icon (seems to be a known issue in some situations), so removing it was the best solution.

I am supposed to work on this machine anyway, so... no gaming stuff ! :)

Thanks again & regards

Daniel
kzendra

Re:

Post by *kzendra »

Dalai wrote: 2018-06-18, 13:20 UTC Do you have nVidia Experience installed? If so, there's your hotkey stealer.

Regards
Dalai
And for some reason it's still doing that.
I started having problems recently and google search pointed me here so I changed AltF7 key combo in nVidia Expirience and it's working now...

I presume they register shortcuts globaly as they are intended for use while in game...
Thanks for this :-)
totalcmdfreak

Re:

Post by *totalcmdfreak »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2018-06-19, 14:45 UTC Btw, you don't need to remove it, you can just change the hotkeys via Alt+Z -> click on the cog wheel icon - keyboard shortcuts. Click on a shortcut and press Delete to remove it, or the new shortcut.
Indeed a slick solution! Glad I've found this post. You just need to search for it.

Unrelated but I need to add this to my first post here: I've been using Total Commander for over 20 years now and it's one of the first applications I'm installing to any windows system.