[9.20rc1] Hotkey selection bug (Enter does it wrong)

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

[9.20rc1] Hotkey selection bug (Enter does it wrong)

Post by *MVV »

First, you need some configured shortcut, e.g. Alt+Up for editing path in my report.

First test:
1. Open Misc options page.
2. Check Alt modifier and select UP from combobox, click it with mouse.
3. Notice that cm_EditPath has been inserted into Command field and red cross button is now active.

Second test:
1. Open Misc options page.
2. Check Alt modifier, open key selection combobox, select UP with keyboard arrows, confirm it with Enter key.
3. Notice that Command field doesn't contain valid command now and red cross buttin is not active, it looks like it is not a configured shortcut.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

confirm it with Enter key
That's your problem: This chooses the "Enter" key for the shortcut.

Instead, use Alt+Up to close the combobox.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

AFAIK Enter is a standard way of confirming combobox selections, and it doesn't select ENTER key for the shortcut, combobox still shows my selected key (not ENTER). So either TC should just confirm selection on Enter (system behaviour), either it should select ENTER key in the list, current behaviour is strange.

When I use Enter to select e.g. entry from combobox in 'Expand selection' dialog, TC does it properly, it doesn't do anything except confirming selection and closing combobox dropdown menu.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2MVV
open key selection combobox
How do you open it? Tabbing to the box, or clicking the down-arrow on the right side of the box?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Also Esc key have same problem: it neither selects ESC key from list, neither closes list.
How do you open it?
It doesn't matter, in both cases behaviour of Enter/Esc is the same.

I think that Enter/Esc shouldn't be processed by TC, just like Up/Down, these keys should be left for working with dropdown list.

Perhaps other control keys should also do their job in the list (Home/End/PgUp/PgDn - these keys are usually used for navigation within list).

At the same time F1-F12 keys may be safely processed by TC, these keys can't made any mess in combobox.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It doesn't matter, in both cases behaviour of Enter/Esc is the same.
Not here:

If I open the key selection combobox with the mouse by clicking on the box, the list uinfolds and I can use up- and down arrow keys to navigate the opened list and go to "UP" and when I press Enter the box folds and show the selected "UP".

If I on the other hand tab my way to the key selection combobox (or I fold it by clicking on it one more time), then you are right that pressing any key but arrow-up or arrow-down shows the value of the pressed key like "ENTER", "ESC" or "PAUSE" and so on.

So it does matter whether you are using an unfolded list or not.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, collapsed combobox allows selecting alpha-numeric and some other keys, but Up/Down keys just select prev/next item (system behaviour), and Enter/Esc just execute OK/Cancel actions so you can't select these keys and see the bug.

When you have drop-down list opened, you can select same keys, Up/Down still select prev/next item, but Enter visually selects focused item but switch to a shortcut with Enter key (inconsistency), and Esc visually cancels selecting but in fact switch to a shortcut with Esc key (inconsistency). You can check it by assigning commands to shortcuts with Enter or Esc (e.g. Win+Enter and Win+Esc).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have noticed that it is different in TC 32-bit and 64-bit, so I have unified it now:
1. Dropdown combobox is open: ENTER and ESC close it, TAB jumps to next control, Shift+TAB to previous.
2. Dropdown combobox is closed: ENTER and ESC find their specific hotkey, TAB jumps to next control, Shift+TAB to previous.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

it is different in TC 32-bit and 64-bi
That's why I couldn't confirm MVV's observation:
When you have drop-down list opened, you can select same keys, Up/Down still select prev/next item, but Enter visually selects focused item but switch to a shortcut with Enter key (inconsistency), and Esc visually cancels selecting but in fact switch to a shortcut with Esc key (inconsistency). You can check it by assigning commands to shortcuts with Enter or Esc (e.g. Win+Enter and Win+Esc).
- I had only tested with 64bit TC.

I can now confirm MVV's report for 32bit TC9.20rc1.

And I can also confirm that it is fixed in 32bit TC 9.20rc2 so that 32bit and 64bit TC works the same in rc2
License #524 (1994)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Thank you, that's better, now behaviour is more consistent. However one can't now close dialog by Esc when combobox is focused.

Also please return system behaviour also for keys PgUp/PgDn/Home/End in opened drop-down list, these are very useful for navigation in long lists.