Cannot overwrite plugin

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

Cannot overwrite plugin

Post by *Thany »

When I install a plugin (the automatic way) first, TC asks me if I want to install it. Yes I do. Then it asks if I want to overwrite it. Yes I do. Then is says access denied. So "as administrator" please. Then Windows asks me if that's okay. YES PLEASE. Then TC asks me to overwrite the files. I said yes like five times! "overwrite all" is my choice. Then it says "access denied" on one of the files, I can skip or cancel - both options are undesirable, I want it to overwrite. Use force if you have to :)

Okay, so there's a lot wrong here.

1) Most of the questions are redundant. Please consolidate all the tedious questions into one, or two if you count UAC: user opens plugin. TC realizes it's already installed and asks to overwrite it. "Yes". Then the inevitable UAC question. "Yes". That's it. Don't ask anything anymore, you've got all the answers needed to go ahead and overwrite the plugin.

2) Why the "access denied" at the end? Aren't I admin by now? Surely an admin can overwrite a plugin? It could be that a file is in use. In that case, how about TC deactivates the plugin before bloody overwriting it?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, no problems here. In which directory is that plugin installed?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Thany

Post by *Thany »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Hmm, no problems here. In which directory is that plugin installed?
This coincides with my other topic about where a plugin is installed.

My TC is installed in C:\Program Files\totalcmd, but because of that setting, plugins get installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd.

I get that not all plugins have the "access denied" on overwriting problem, because probably not all plugins are continuously active. But the number of questions should still be reduced to 1, or 2 if you count UAC. I can't think of a reason to ask the user 5 times if it's okay to install a plugin before it actually happens, or is there a use-case for the number of questions?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just set a different location for the plugin, TC will remember it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Alright, but this topic was about the many questions, and eventually "access denied" when overwriting a plugin (i.e. updating). I get that installing in a different location is a workaround for that.