F3 View (Lister) always opens on right side of the monitor

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

blurpknurft

F3 View (Lister) always opens on right side of the monitor

Post by *blurpknurft »

In prior versions when hitting F3 View (Lister = Internal Viewer) on a .txt file (and numerous other files Lister opens) the lister window was opened in the middle of the monitor (not full screen).

With 9.20 it tries to open the window on the right side of the monitor as if you have pressed Windows-Arrow Up followed by Windows-Arrow Right. If there is only one monitor it looks just like that.

If you have multiple monitors with the monitor in the middle being the primary with on the right next to it the second monitor it tries to do that as well but is failing. It shifts down a little bit and you have to hit Windows-Arrow Up followed by Windows-Arrow Right to align the top part with the Total Command window itself.

How can I force Lister to center in the middle of the monitor again?

I am observing this with Windows 7 64-bit (Build 7601; Service Pack 1) as well as with Windows XP SP3 using Total Command 9.20 32-bit.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just move the window where you want it, and choose "Save position" from the menu.

This was changed because it was left to Windows itself tzo choose a position, and it was often not helpful at all.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
blurpknurft

Post by *blurpknurft »

I tried that but did not work as expected. I made the view window a bit smaller and moved it to the middle of my monitor and hit the "Save position" for it.

Following closure and re-opening of the file it is now located on the left hand side (instead of the middle location) of the monitor using the size I moved it to.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Confirm.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Notice:
Just to make sure: It is not the "Save position" in TC-s Main menu -> Configuration -> Save Position you shall use but the "Save position" in Listers own menu -> Options -> Save Position
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
blurpknurft

Post by *blurpknurft »

Yes I am using the "Save position" option in Listers own menu when trying to get it sticky in the middle of the monitor.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please check in Total Commander main menu - Help - About Total Commander where the wincmd.ini is stored. You may not have write rights there.
blurpknurft

Post by *blurpknurft »

Nope it is not a rights issue. If that would have been true it would not have re-positioned to the left side of the monitor after I saved the position in the middle of the monitor.

What appears to be happening here is that the x and y positioning are stored within the wincmd.ini file for lister with fixed values 0 and 22:

[Lister]
Wrap=1
Maximized=0
x=0
y=22
dx=1044
dy=812

It does not matter at what position on the monitor I save things.

I reset the lister settings in the wincmd.ini file to only the following lines:
[Lister]
Wrap=1

When I start viewing a file now it opens up on the right hand side as outlined in my initial posting.
When I save that position in Lister it updates the section to:
[Lister]
Wrap=1
Maximized=0
x=0
y=22
dx=944
dy=918

And now it opens on the left hand side of the monitor even though I did not actually change a thing.

My current workaround is to first size the List window to what I prefer and save it. Next I edit the Lister section to adjust the x and y value to the position I would like to get it dropped.

Hopefully this information helps you to find the source of this problem. It looks like a generic issue here since I am observing it on multiple PCs.
They are either running Windows 7 x64 or Windows XP SP3 and all using the 32 bit version from Total Commander.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Well... Old 75% height and width of desktop size was more useful, than vertical halfscreened.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2blurpknurft
When I move the lister window from my left screen to the right screen (two screens in total) and save the position then:
x=400
y=100

change to:

x=2038
y=72

in wincmd.ini and the new position is used the next time I open Lister, so I cannot reproduce your problem.

Maybe you could try with a clean ini file and see what happens. Maybe some other setting is influencing it.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2blurpknurft
Sorry, I don't get your point. The saving of the Lister position has not been changed in TC 9.20, it works the same as in TC 9.12.

Do you mean that when you save the position, then close and re-open Lister, it will not appear at the saved position? I cannot reproduce that here. :(
blurpknurft

Post by *blurpknurft »

Finally figured it out! You can mark this issue as invalid.

After quite some debugging by rebuilding the wincmd.ini file up from scratch on a vanilla machine I got it nailed down.

The tlister wlx plugin was causing my issues and hence there wasn't anything wrong with Total Commander at all. It appeared I had an older version in use and after replacing it with the latest version (1.20) and taking care of getting it in as the first entry within the [ListerPlugins] section everything is working now as prior to me upgrading from 9.12a to 9.20.

[ListerPlugins]
0=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\tlister\tlister.wlx
0_detect="MULTIMEDIA"

I have absolutely no clue why it started to act up just now after my upgrade on my machines. Anyway, it is resolved now!! :D

Yeah, maybe I should not be using plugins like this as it is not even noted on the plugin page on the ghisler website. Fact is that I really like the plugin as instead of having multiple lister windows being opened it is just one tabbed window.

Feature request for an upcoming release??? :idea:
It would also eliminate me being stuck on the 32 bit version since for instance this plugin is only available 32 bit...

Thank you all for trying to help me and figure out what was going on here. Glad it is not caused by a Total Commander issue and it was soley due to my setup. :oops: Sorry!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the English forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.