Thank you!!

English support forum

Moderators: Stefan2, white, sheep, Hacker

Post Reply
jfogYahoo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 2018-04-14, 14:41 UTC

Thank you!!

Post by *jfogYahoo » 2018-07-05, 06:44 UTC

So this is the final version!
Thank you very much for providing an excellent program and keeping it updated for free for such a long time!
I have been using it for many years, and used it in Windows as well as installed it in two Linux distributions (Q4OS and Mint - somebody made it available there also).
Best wishes
J. Fog

Edit: Oh - now I see that "the final version" probably is the final version of TC version 9.20 (after the release candidates etc.). For a while I thought, it meant this is the final version (ever) of TC. Hopefully it is not :D
Last edited by jfogYahoo on 2018-07-14, 09:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valman
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 59
Joined: 2003-09-12, 12:43 UTC

Post by *Valman » 2018-07-13, 20:37 UTC

I want to thank Christian and his brother too!

Total commander is by far the best (not one of the best!) programs I have ever used after so many years. It is my right hand. I can't live without it, seriously. I admit it, I am addicted. It is the first program I would install after every new windows installation.

I love the speed, the stability, the keyboard shortcuts, the features everything. I love the fact that it is not bloated, I love it's simplicity and it's power !!!

Thank you Christian Ghisler!

Your work is awesome.


-Nick

jfogYahoo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 2018-04-14, 14:41 UTC

Re: Thank you!!

Post by *jfogYahoo » 2018-07-13, 20:46 UTC

jfogYahoo wrote:So this is the final version!
Thank you very much for providing an excellent program and keeping it updated for free for such a long time!
I have been using it for many years, and used it in Windows as well as installed it in two Linux distributions (Q4OS and Mint - somebody made it available there also).
Best wishes
J. Fog
PS. Regarding the above, I was curious if you were involved in making the Linux version(s) of Total Commander, and/or if you gave somebody permissions to do it.

User avatar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 36554
Joined: 2003-02-04, 09:46 UTC
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by *ghisler(Author) » 2018-07-15, 07:28 UTC

I started creating a Linux version many years ago when Borland (the makers of Delphi) brought out Kylix (Delphi for Linux). Unfortuantely there were many problems, including crashes when using threads, which I couldn't resolve. There is also the problem with plugins not working on Linux, they would need conversion too. Therefore I have stopped all development and support the Windows version with WinE instead.
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com

jfogYahoo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 2018-04-14, 14:41 UTC

Post by *jfogYahoo » 2018-07-15, 11:33 UTC

ghisler(Author) wrote:I started creating a Linux version many years ago when Borland (the makers of Delphi) brought out Kylix (Delphi for Linux). Unfortuantely there were many problems, including crashes when using threads, which I couldn't resolve. There is also the problem with plugins not working on Linux, they would need conversion too. Therefore I have stopped all development and support the Windows version with WinE instead.
Ok - thanks. I worked a little with Delphi but otherwise mostly Turbo Pascal. The versions I have of TC in Linux (Mint and Q4OS) work fine after some tweaking - at least for the functions I use. -
When you wrote "This is the final version" - I first thought: this is the final version of TC (ever) - but now I see that it is probably just the final version of of v. 9.20! At least I hope so :D

User avatar
Klopfer98
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: 2013-09-24, 23:37 UTC
Location: Kiel
Contact:

Re:

Post by *Klopfer98 » 2018-09-13, 07:34 UTC

ghisler(Author) wrote:
2018-07-15, 07:28 UTC
I started creating a Linux version many years ago when Borland (the makers of Delphi) brought out Kylix (Delphi for Linux). Unfortuantely there were many problems, including crashes when using threads, which I couldn't resolve. There is also the problem with plugins not working on Linux, they would need conversion too. Therefore I have stopped all development and support the Windows version with WinE instead.
I read in another thread that now you use Lazarus for developing TC. Isn't there a possibility for a native Linux version (besides Wine) since Lazarus is available for Linux too?

User avatar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 36554
Joined: 2003-02-04, 09:46 UTC
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Thank you!!

Post by *ghisler(Author) » 2018-09-18, 07:34 UTC

I'm using Lazarus for the 64-bit version only. Unfortunately I use a lot of native Windows function calls which do not exist on Linux, so I cannot simply port TC to Linux. And even if I did (which I tried many years ago), there will be no plugins available. Instead I'm regularly testing TC on Wine.
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com

Post Reply