Current status of support for WinZip 9 deflate compression?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

Current status of support for WinZip 9 deflate compression?

Post by *DRP535 »

Hi,

Been away for quite a while and was just wondering about the current status of adding support into TC for the new WinZip 9.0 deflate mode compression algorthim. Where are we at on that score? I only ask because I actually came across one of these achives yesterday to find that nothing I have installed could cope with it. I downright refuse to install yet another compressor program that I'm never gonna use again just to take apart one archive, so I sent it to someone else and got them to repack it for me instead :-)

Is there a plug-in available for TC to add this support?

Cheers
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

If you mean deflate64, TC should be able to unpack it (feature added in TC 6.0, small bug fixed in 6.01). TC doesn't however support packing in this format because it's not in the ZIP standard.

HTH
Roman
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

hmmm, strange. Can't find any reference to that feature being added in the "what's new" section of the TC help for v6.0?

Anyway, I don't know exactly what the compression system is called, but I downloaded a zip file the other day which many people including me complained about not being able to open. After days of discussion on the subject it appeared that it was compressed with WinZip 9 deflate method and nothing but the latest WinZip or the latest PowerZip could take it apart again. I personally tried with TC 6.03a, WinRAR 3.30 & WinACE 2.5 and sure enough all could see inside the archive but none could extract it. The error message that popped up in all three was along the lines of...

"compression method not supported"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

DRP535 wrote:hmmm, strange. Can't find any reference to that feature being added in the "what's new" section of the TC help for v6.0?
Almost every single addition and correction during development is shown in your history.txt file in TC's root directory.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Would there be any interest in me posting a link to a file compressed with this deflate technique for testing in TC? I can't get it to work. Maybe someone else can?
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Here are some links to a WinZip9 deflate compressed file I can't get TC to extract despite it supposedly supporting this format. I'm using TC 6.03a

I post this here in the hope that someone can tell me why it isn't working, but before you download it be aware that the zip file might contain software that is of a slightly less than 100% legitimate nature, so use this only for the purposes of testing the WinZip9 deflate decompressor functionality in TC.

Code: Select all

links removed
Use FlashGet for downloading. All the links point to the same thing so only get one. It is 1.1MB in size and password protected.

Rename the downloaded file to rsp.zip and use this password for extraction RUSTYBURNSFORUMS7760

TC reports "file compression method not supported" to me though I can see inside the archive and it does ask me for the password, so everything works as it should except for the actual decompression.
Last edited by DRP535 on 2004-06-25, 00:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Clo

Not supported : long password ?

Post by *Clo »

2DRP535

:) Hello !
Use FlashGet for downloading. All the links point to the same thing so only get one. It is 1.1MB in size and password protected…
:shock: Maybe the new unzip DLL released with TC do NOT support long passwords ?

EDIT :
* I tested your file.
Though I had the messages "... not supported", the files names only are unpacked ! The files are empty...
Under Win 98 SE (Fr.) and XP-Pro
What about a shorter password,
:( and also another kind of folder to test ?

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Yeah same thing here on W2K SP4. I figured the empty files are just what it produced when it doesn't know what else to do - kinda like when you extract a password protected RAR archive with the wrong password.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hmm, I treid to get the file using each link and I got either file not found or host not found...

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The problem here is the combination of the WinZip 9compression and the password protection. Extracting non password protected WinZip 9 archives works just fine with Total Commander 6.03a. But if you exchange the file WCMZIP32.DLL with the one that can be found on Totalcmd.net or Club Total you will be able to extract password protected zip files, but not WinZip 9 compressed archives.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2004-06-25, 00:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

WCMZIP32.DLL is for packing only, unpacking is handled inside of TC (just decryption is handled by WCMZIP32.DLL too). The problem is that Winzip 9 supports a new strong encryption method not supported by the WCMZIP32.DLL. The author of the AES plugin has sent me a DLL which should be able to decrypt such files, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm currently working on some other new features.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I'm currently working on some other new features.
Is there any chance Christian to have this list in the beta testing forum?

Am I asking too much or the surprise factor is the best approach?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Thanks for the answer Christian. Links removed now question answered.

Cheers
Clo

Testers can help !

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)
:) Good morning !
The problem is that Winzip 9 supports a new strong encryption method not supported by the WCMZIP32.DLL. The author of the AES plugin has sent me a DLL which should be able to decrypt such files, but I haven't tried it yet…
¤ Maybe some beta-testers could do that? :wink:
- With the agreement of the AES' Author, of course.
* A covering issue is that the actual SFX header file doesn't support passwords.
* Indeed, we can use the Fabio Chelly's one for the standard ZIPs, it works fine, but I doubt it could work now with the WinZip9 encrypted archives, whether the user wants to make a SFX with.
* What do you think ?
:mrgreen: Best regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials