Quick search - search for filesize

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Quick search - search for filesize

Post by *deus-ex »

Hi Roman,

thank you very much for investing your time looking into a solution for my unique request. You find me astonished and thrilled as I didn't see this coming. I followed your instructions to the letter, got it working after I found out it requires Autohotkey to be installed, too.

The script works good for small directories containing just a few dozen files, but there I don't need the script as I can find files manually faster. Unfortunately for folders containing 50+ files it starts to get quite slow. I'm working with more than 300.000 files worth more than 93 Gigabyte, which appears to be way too much to handle for this solution. Quicksearching this content for a filesize in branchview takes an eternity.

I haven't heard back from Christian regarding my request for adding filesize input to quicksearch. Judging by the lack of response I guess it's not happening. Once more, thank you very much for your perseverance and effort in this matter, it's very much appreciated! At least we have proof of concept that it can be done.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2deus-ex
Is there any reason why you do not use "Everything" for such a search?
Horst.Epp has already mentioned the topic above.

You will get the search result elsewhere hardly faster, because you can let the file and folder size be indexed in Everything
(see: Everything Options - Indexes).

Regards
Karl
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

deus-ex,
got it working after I found out it requires Autohotkey to be installed, too
Sorry, I guess I just automatically assume everyone has AHK installed. :D
I'm working with more than 300.000 files worth more than 93 Gigabyte, which appears to be way too much to handle for this solution. Quicksearching this content for a filesize in branchview takes an eternity.
Yes, well, unfortunately, in this case the way it works the script has to be run 300 000 times, once for each file and I can see how this can take a while. OTOH, once it has run and you do not leave the custom columns view you should be able to search to your heart's desire.

I agree that Everything might be a more suitable solution here.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

tuska wrote: 2018-08-21, 10:13 UTC Is there any reason why you do not use "Everything" for such a search?
Yes, as I already explained I'm working with branch view. This allows to have access to all files at all time, instead of just a subset representing the search result. I can sort the filelist by size to easily identify files of same size, then I can review the files in question (view, quick view, check file dates) and navigate to their location via Ctrl+Left/Ctrl+Right making use of the inactive file window. This way I require Total Commander to read in the source of files only one time, instead of being bothered to repeat the search process over and over again and having access to a search result only.

Since you can navigate filenames via quicksearch, which works in branch view as fast as in normal view, I was looking to extend the ability of the quickview feature, because the required data (names, sizes, attributes) is already processed and available via Total Commander. So I'm just asking for an additional function to make use of data which is already there.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

deus-ex wrote: 2018-08-21, 13:25 UTC
tuska wrote: 2018-08-21, 10:13 UTC Is there any reason why you do not use "Everything" for such a search?
Yes, as I already explained I'm working with branch view. This allows to have access to all files at all time, instead of just a subset representing the search result. I can sort the filelist by size to easily identify files of same size, then I can review the files in question (view, quick view, check file dates) and navigate to their location via Ctrl+Left/Ctrl+Right making use of the inactive file window. This way I require Total Commander to read in the source of files only one time, instead of being bothered to repeat the search process over and over again and having access to a search result only.

Since you can navigate filenames via quicksearch, which works in branch view as fast as in normal view, I was looking to extend the ability of the quickview feature, because the required data (names, sizes, attributes) is already processed and available via Total Commander. So I'm just asking for an additional function to make use of data which is already there.
That is in no way a reason not to use Everything.
The search results using Everything are the same as a branch view restricted to the selected file sizes.
I can get the results in a new tab using "Shift Feed to listbox".
From there I can Quick view or manipulate the files from the results
without any need for TC to read all files again.
Why should I want to see files which are not falling into the required boundaries.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

deus-ex,
This allows to have access to all files at all time, instead of just a subset representing the search result.
Umm, your search result can include all files at all time. You can also choose to use Everything standalone, search there, sort by size and open the relevant files in TC. Or you can use TC's Everything integration. Your use case sounds like you could give it a try,

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2deus-ex
In principle, the predicted can also be solved in combination with TC and Everything:

- Access to all files, files from specific folders or drives at any time -> right in Everything

- Open current folder or root directory (exclusive subdirectories) in Everything, using a button in TC (Path\to\Everything.exe -parent, Parameters: %V)
- Open current folder including subdirectories in Everything, using a button in TC (Path\to\Everything.exe -path, Parameters: %V)
- Open parent folder including subdirectories in Everything, using a button in TC (Path\to\Everything.exe -parentpath, Parameters: %V)

- Enter e.g. size:>1GB size:<2GB in the input line of Everything - always customizable - Search results IMMEDIATELY!
  Further examples could be: size:>1GB size:<2GB 2010, size:>1GB size:<2GB adobe, size:>1GB size:<2GB files:, d: size:>1GB size:<5GB .mp4, etc.
  Search parameter can be saved as filter (filters search result according to these criteria) or bookmark (sets parameters in the input line/easy changeable).
  (Important: Bookmarks.csv - A backslash in the name of the bookmark creates a subentry in the bookmark, e.g. Size\Gigantic\Videos)
- Sorting by file size is done directly in Everything (right-click on the column header, "Size" must be checked)
- Check and quick view (quick view as far as possible; menu "View" - "Preview") are done in Everything (CTRL+Q see below …)
- Navigation: With CTRL+ENTER on the file name in Everything -> the path can be opened in the active TC window and
  the cursor is placed on the file in TC (appropriate settings required in Everything … see below ...)

Everything: Tools > Options... > General: Keyboard > File | Open Path - CTRL+ENTER (Result List)
   Everything: Tools > Options... > General: Keyboard > Show commands containing: view > View | Preview: CTRL+Q (Global)

Everything: Tools > Options... > General: Context Menu > Open (Path) - Command: $exec("Path\to\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /O /A /S "%1")
   Everything: Tools > Options... > General: Context Menu > Open (Folders) - Command: $exec("Path\to\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /O /A /S "%1")
   Everything: Tools > Options... > General: Context Menu > Explore Path - Command: $exec("Path\to\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /O /S $parent("%1"))

$exec("Path\To\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /O /T /A /S "%1"), $exec("Path\To\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /O /T /S $parent("%1")) ...
   TC-Help (F1), 4.a. Command line parameters: /T Opens the passed dir(s) in new tab(s). Now also works when Total Commander hasn't been open yet.
   (Thanks to Horst.Epp for listing of the parameters)

Everything: Tools > Options... > General: [X] Start Everything on system startup
   Everything: Tools > Options... > General: [  ] Run as administrator
   Everything: Tools > Options... > General: [X] Everything Service
   Everything: Tools > Options... > Indexes: [X] Index file size
   Everything: Tools > Options... > Indexes: [X] Index folder size

If files or folders are copied, moved or deleted, then there will be an update in Everything within second(s)!

But it's up to you - I do not want to persuade you here.

Regards
Karl
Jabberwock

Post by *Jabberwock »

deus-ex wrote: 2018-08-21, 13:25 UTC Yes, as I already explained I'm working with branch view. This allows to have access to all files at all time, instead of just a subset representing the search result. I can sort the filelist by size to easily identify files of same size, then I can review the files in question (view, quick view, check file dates) and navigate to their location via Ctrl+Left/Ctrl+Right making use of the inactive file window. This way I require Total Commander to read in the source of files only one time, instead of being bothered to repeat the search process over and over again and having access to a search result only.

You can easily use the native TC functions to achieve this!

1) switch to B-view or any other to have the listing of your desired files
2) hit + to activate (advanced selection) or Ctrl+f12 to activate advanced filter for displayed files. The dialogs boxes are the same for either function.
3) Hit "Define..."
4) Input * for any filename (or define your desired filename mask)
5) Switch to "plugins" tab - I use localization so I don't know how exactly it is named in english, it is the third tab from left, put a tick on use the extensions (or plugins)
6) use native tc plugin and define two cases to specify a range of filesizes or input just one for a specific filesize, just as you wish.
7) Save the search mask as whatever name and use it next time with a single click from the first menu either for selection or display. You can define many masks of this or similar type. No extension really needed here.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2Jabberwock

Thank you for your detailed description, much appreciated. I followed it to the letter, however when loading this saved search mask I still cannot use quick view to search for filesizes, only filenames can be quick searched. Is there anything I missed?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2deus-ex
Defined views are for visual search. You can define views in so many ranges that there will be less than 50 (name your number of files listed in a panel here) files in every view sorted by size. Just select proper view range and look carefully.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2Usher

Alright then, that's not what I'm looking for and unfortunately doesn't help me at all.

2Jabberwock

Thank you for trying to help, but I'm afraid that search masks don't provide the freedom and flexibility I'm looking for when working with branch view.