Quick Access in Windows style

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

salrandazzo

Quick Access in Windows style

Post by *salrandazzo »

Hi, I'm new to TC and I'm still trying to get accostumed.
At a first sight I see that there is no "quick access" feature, to quickly access folders that are often used.
Trying to make myself clear. In Windows10 explorer you have a left panel with the file tree that is useful to navigate the file tree looking for the desired folder.
I found a similar option on TC, there is a button (Switch trough tree panel option) that activates the tree view.
But on the tree view I can't find the "Quick Access" section, the one that is present on the top of the Windows 10 explorer tree view.
I made a few research on Google or on the forum but didn't find any related topic.
Is there any way to activate this feature? Or should it be moved to some "fature request" section?
Thanks a lot.

BTW: I'm still not a registered user. I'm just evaluating this tool.

EDIT:
I found something like that. There is an asterisk on the top right of each panel. There one can insert his/her preferred bookmarks. Is this way? The drawback is that TC doesn't share bookmarks with Windows. If one bookmarks a folder in TC, the same folder is not automatically bookmarked in Win, and vice-versa.
Last edited by salrandazzo on 2018-09-14, 09:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
vdijken

Re: Quick Access in Windows style

Post by *vdijken »

CTRL+D (Or the * in the top bar) gives you all the directories you choose for a quick access. And when the current directory is not in you can add it. When the first letter is unique you can go to that directory strait forward typing that letter. You can also choose an other letter which is underlined, like in windows, type that letter to go to that directory.
Last edited by vdijken on 2018-09-14, 08:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
salrandazzo

Post by *salrandazzo »

Thank you Vdijken, I also found that possibility, and it works properly. But folders that are bookmarked in TC are not bookmarked in Windows, and viceversa. It would be nice that TC could show on the tree also files that are bookmarked in Windows.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

A solution is described here:
viewtopic.php?p=329995#p329995
"Is it possible to access Win. Explorer Favorite Links in TC?"
salrandazzo

Post by *salrandazzo »

Hi Tuska, I added the button to the toolbar, and it works, it opens the favorites on the selected panel and the "trick" solves the problem. Favorites don't appear on the file tree panel but they appear on the regular file panel. Along with the asterisk button it solves the problem to quick access the preferred locations.
SSc

Post by *SSc »

With the "shell GUID" feature introduced with TC 9.20 there is an easier method without the need of using a .lnk file.

From TC 9.20 documentation:
"Button bar: support shell GUIDs, e.g. to go to Explorer's recent dirs, use cd ::{22877a6d-37a1-461a-91b0-dbda5aaebc99} (32/64)"

So, for quick access simply create a button with the command "cd ::{679F85CB-0220-4080-B29B-5540CC05AAB6}"

I tested it only for Win 10. Please google yourselves the GUIDs for other locations and/or Windows versions.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2SSc
Thank you!
SSc wrote: 2018-09-15, 05:42 UTC Please google yourselves the GUIDs for other locations and/or Windows versions.
User blacky has already published a link collection in the German forum:
viewtopic.php?t=49981

Regards
Karl