Some ideas for enhancing Quick Search

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

chasbas

Some ideas for enhancing Quick Search

Post by *chasbas »

Show only matches
Has anyone ever discussed and/or rejected the idea of adding a Quick Search option that would make non-matching files disappear during a Quick Search operation? That is, as you narrow down the possible matching files (say, with Alt+A), only those matching files would still appear on the screen (that is, only files that start with “A”). Additionally, the matching files list would always be sorted by name, rather than by whatever sort was currently being used (since the search is always by name anyway).

This would help me since I often have directories containing files with the same name but different extensions (like .c, .obj and .exe), but sorted by something besides by name. If I’m searching for the .c file I might have to type in almost the whole name of the file, and then arrow down through the other extensions while the cursor jumps around on the screen repositioning to the next file. With this new option I’d see the matching files all in one spot and be able to arrow to the right one quickly.

This should be relatively easy to implement (easy for me to say!) since the file list is already being redrawn each time a key is pressed (to move the cursor). Plus it’s pretty intuitive, to see only matching files while searching. Of course it would be an option, so Quick Search could continue to work the way it already does.

Match Anywhere
Another thought I had was that it would be nice to be able to match a filename during Quick Search anywhere in its name, rather than just at the beginning. A simple way to do this might be to use a special character, say “*”, to indicate that the match needn’t start at the beginning. So “*A” would match any filenames containing an A instead of only filenames that start with A. The “*” could appear anywhere in the string, so you could use BackSpace to quickly switch between “ABC*” and “ABC” and see the full list of files matching each of those possibilities. Sort of a poor man's regular expression.

One more idea, not Quick Search related:

Select All the Same Files by Name
We already have Select All the Same Files by Extension (usually Alt+GrayPlus), but I often find myself needing to select all the files with the same name and different extensions (like myprog.c, myprog.obj and myprog.exe). Does anyone else think this would be useful?
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2chasbas
Yes! I completely agree with all your 3 points!
I also find myself doing this often but I'm so used to it that never thought this could be improved :).

And to the subject want to repeat very old wish (was mentioned in old forum): I almost don't see cursor (in file list) when I activate Quick Search mode. Christian, is this so hard to make cursor the same color as in normal mode, or add one more setting to Colors tab "Quick View cursor", or anything? Help!... :(
mhe

Post by *mhe »

I support #1, very useful. I might sometime have use for #2 but not too often, point #3 is of no use for me.
fnheiden

Re: Some ideas for enhancing Quick Search

Post by *fnheiden »

chasbas wrote:Select All the Same Files by Name
I always use Ctrl+F12 (Custom view ...) with 'myprog.*'.

Regards,
~ Florian
chasbas

Re: Some ideas for enhancing Quick Search

Post by *chasbas »

fnheiden wrote:I always use Ctrl+F12 (Custom view ...) with 'myprog.*'.
Good idea - I never thought of that. Seems like a lot more typing, though, than just pressing, say, Ctrl+Alt+GrayPlus while positioned on myprog.c. I'd have to type Ctrl+F12, "myprog.*" (or "My really long filename.*"), Enter, Ctrl+GrayPlus, [work with the selected files], Ctrl+F10 (which makes the selection go away). Right now I just use Ctrl+F3 and manually select all the files - fewer keystrokes and thinking involved.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 12-03-2003 00:14:53 +0000 chasbas wrote:

c> it would be nice to be able to match a filename during
c> Quick Search anywhere in its name, rather than just at
c> the beginning.

[^Y]
c> So “*A” would match any filenames containing an A instead
c> of only filenames that start with A.

Kak dva pal'ca ob asfal't... (i.e. you already can do it easily). I use "Letters - &with search dialog" but it should work in your case too. Just type any letter ("Alt"+Letter in your case), then press BS and type "*a". To search in file names only use "*a.*".[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2003-03-13, 02:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 12-03-2003 00:14:53 +0000 chasbas wrote:

c> Select All the Same Files by Name
[^Y]
c> Does anyone else think this would be useful?

Well, I knew several people who do. Actually this is rather old wish, I sent it to Christian a couple of times, maybe it's already in Wishlist ;).[/face]
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Quick Search is not activated when I switch to Russian layout. :( I have to start Quick Search on English layout, press Backspace, switch to Russian, and only then...
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 13-03-2003 14:42:20 +0000 Valentino wrote:

V> Quick Search is not activated when I switch to Russian
V> layout.

...in "Al&t+Letters" mode, 'cause in "Letters - &with search dialog" it definitely is, Val.
BTW, I made several files with Russian names intentionally just to made this test. The best way do not have problems with Russian (or any other not-Latin) names - do not use them, this is my absolutely not humble opinion as the person with "quite big experience of PC usage" %).[/face]
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Black Dog wrote:...in "Al&t+Letters" mode, 'cause in "Letters - &with search dialog" it definitely is, Val.
Yeah... Switching to "Letters - &with search dialog" mode...
P.S. Found it quite convenient, but :( have to get used to it - I still click Alt and accidentally activating some menu items... I hope I won't format my disk by this... :)
Black Dog wrote:The best way do not have problems with Russian (or any other not-Latin) names - do not use them, this is my absolutely not humble opinion as the person with "quite big experience of PC usage" %)
Completely agree. All my installed soft has English interface. Many translated versions work worse or just have invalid translations sometimes...
I create russian-named files for my friends, or when I have some russian text in clip to quickly name some temp/half-temp files.

2All
Guys, already two "PC-monsters" suggest you that... :D