Why do I see a Yen symbol file separator?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rg_software

Why do I see a Yen symbol file separator?

Post by *rg_software »

Hello,
I am experiencing a strange issue with TC (9.21a version).
When I search files and then bring search results to the panel, TC shows them as full file paths, separated by the Japanese Yen symbol. Very annoying.

I have a non-Japanese OS, but the location is set to Japan. However, this is the only place I found so far that shows yen instead of backslash symbols (on Japanese Windows yen is indeed used as a separator). In cmd.exe and everywhere else in Total Commander the separator is backslash, and only search results brought to a panel show yen symbols.

P.S. Windows 10, Version 10.0.17763.292
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Why do I see a Yen symbol file separator?

Post by *Usher »

I think you should just change font setings.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This happens with some fonts when the character set for non-Unicode programs is set to Japan in the control panel. In this case, some fonts replace the backslash with a Yen character.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

Well, you are right about font -- if I change the font, it works indeed. However, the charset for non-unicode programs is set to Cyrillic in my case. Strange. Thanks anyway!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

It's because Japanese ISO-646 encodings are not fully compatible with US-ASCII (though ASCII-based) and Unicode, which contains US-ASCII as a subset.
See the explanations in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backslash#Confusion_in_usage
In Windows there are some legacy fonts, kept for compatibility reasons, and they've had hardcoded yen instead of backslash. I remember only two of them - MS Gothic and MS Mincho. Other fonts containing Japanese glyphs, may use glyph mapping when switched to Japanese. In this case you can switch to English settings - use Ctrl+~ shortkey (hold Ctrl then press tilde, the key under Escape). It should toggle between Japanese and English (with no guarantee that it will work for non-Unicode apps).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator