FTP and quickview panel support

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SkipR

FTP and quickview panel support

Post by *SkipR »

When you open an FTP location in a panel and choose "Quickview panel" (Ctl+Q) on a file item eg test.jpg displays only "?" because it does not make a %TEMP%\_tc\test.jpg copy and run quickview on the local copy. Using View (F3) DOES copy test.jpg and run lister.exe on %TEMP%\_tc copy.

(With local zip files both "Quickview panel" and "View" work the same way be making a %TEMP%\_tc copy.)

It would make more sense if FTP + Quickview worked like that too. It would be quit helpful to me if FTP and quickview panel were supported.
Skip
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: FTP and quickview panel support

Post by *petermad »

Support ++ but should maybe be configurable
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Let's imagine how it will work by default.

Suppose you have got pretty decent hardware and soft: 2 TB HDD, 120 GB SSD with fully updated Windows 10, Gigabit Ethernet, LAN with ftp server on NAS 20 TB…

You are browsing your ftp directory on NAS and by accident stopping your navigation on 50 GB Blu-ray disk image. TC and FTP use default settings, QuickView tries to display all files and opens FTP connection to download the image. How long will TC be blocked by downloading in the foreground? How large free space do you have on your system SSD where %TEMP% is located?

Now think a little more:
What do you want to do with files downloaded to some %TEMP% subfolder?
Imagine you are navigating here or there - do you want to delete the files immediately and download them again?
If you want to keep them for some time, how soon will you fill your SSD free space with thousands of pictures?

If it's NAS in LAN, why won't' you use SMB and map a network drive to drive letter?

Finally, where in the Internet will you find FTP open with gigabit bandwith per user? Otherwise it will be SlowView or even SnailView…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
SkipR

Post by *SkipR »

Usher wrote: 2019-01-16, 03:04 UTC Let's imagine how it will work by default.
Yes your quite right I had not thought about that
petermad wrote: 2019-01-15, 21:47 UTC Support ++ but should maybe be configurable
Well I would be quite happy if it was implemented with a default user defined threshold to only download the Quickview temporary copy of file if it is < 200KB (I see the point about configurable now) and maintain existing behaviour for large files. It would be a real productivity saver for collections of small files on FTP servers on the Internet (that's my common use case). Some way to interrupt transfer - Esc key or respond to ftp "disconnect" button I would assume if you make a bad threshold choice or the connection drops to a trickle.
Skip
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Well, I'd add two more limitations:
* Download files for QuickView only in foreground. You should see what's going on, and some servers allow only single connection.
* Delete temporary downloaded files after closing connection.

And I'd like to see similar solution for QuickView when browsing archives. Now TC tries to open all files (even the largest ones) and keeps only currently viewed file.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
SkipR

Post by *SkipR »

Usher wrote: 2019-02-16, 14:54 UTC ...
I'd like to see similar solution for QuickView when browsing archives. Now TC tries to open all files (even the largest ones) and keeps only currently viewed file.
I also quickview with zip archives containing "small" image file so that would be really productive caching files and improving quickview speed. I would guess clean the cache when first instance of TC starts up.
Skip
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2SkipR
That would be the worst case, when TC or system crashed. Currently many users hibernate their system and keep TC open for a long time, they may restart system only after Windows Update. That's why there should be at least the following options:
  • Delete cached files immediately after closing archive or FTP connection.
  • Delete cached files together with deleting remembered archive password: The remembered archive password is cleared when minimizing TC, putting the PC to sleep, or when a screensaver starts.
  • Delete cached file on closing TC.
Notice, that TC must somehow organize such a cache and keep files from each connection/archive in a separate subfolder, but how to name those subfolders? Using long names (f.e. based on full path) isn't a good idea, I think, so maybe some hash?
Andrzej P. Wozniak