why don't add an undo feature?

Post by *giulia »

Hi
why don't add an undo feature?
today , i did a mistake and i click copy , i was thinking to copy 3 files
tc start to copy an entire folder with all the sub folders

i stopped , but tc did copy lots of files and folder

i would love to have an undo feature
in this case , i try to use syncronize folders with this settings tring to delete the files i have copied accidentally
Image: https://i.imgur.com/SUQTJFC.png

would be great have undo feature , could be added
thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: why don't add an undo feature?

Post by *Dalai »

giulia wrote: 2019-03-26, 19:20 UTCwhy don't add an undo feature?
I'm pretty sure if it was simple to add such feature for any (combination of) operation(s) one can do in TC, it would have been implemented a long time ago. But it isn't simple to undo any operation possible operation in TC. That's why TC only has an undo function in MRT (multi-rename tool), which is also only usable as long as TC is running.

An undo operation could lead to several more confirmations because imagine this: A file is created in one instance of TC. In another instance of TC you undo a previous move of files, one of which has the same name as the one created in the first instance. What happens to that file? You have to ask the user before you can continue with the undo operation!

Besides, undo is of no use when you notice that you've made a mistake after TC is closed. And, since NTFS updates the timestamp of directories when files are deleted from it, an undo operation can never undo everything.

I hope you get my point that it's not simple to implement to cover all possible cases.

PS: Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I could've used an undo myself. I just wanted to point out that it's not something that's implemented in an hour.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: why don't add an undo feature?

Post by *MVV »

Though one may enable logging, it will help to find out which files have been copied/moved, and regex may help to convert its lines to batch commands for undoing...