Is there any way to hide the scroll bar?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Joeyy

Is there any way to hide the scroll bar?

Post by *Joeyy »

I want to hide the scroll bar both of horizontal or vertical. Thanks.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Is there any way to hide the scroll bar?

Post by *Dalai »

At last, I find someone who wants to hide scrollbars. Please answer me one question: Why do you want to hide the scrollbars? What's the advantage of hiding them, or the disadvantage of showing them?

Really, I'm curious, because I've been wondering for years where this nonsense is coming from, that it's not possible anymore to see if there's more content in a window by just looking at the scrollbar position.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

This idea might have been had someone earlier, because if you configure a custom columns view
you have the possibility (bottom left) to uncheck the box "Horizontal scrollbar".

If one creates a new custom columns view, I think this option should be already set automatically (box checked).
yiuimex

Post by *yiuimex »

hi,
Dalai wrote: 2019-03-30, 16:10 UTC At last, I find someone who wants to hide scrollbars.
this is default under Windows 10 (Automatische Ausblenden von Bildlaufleisten in Windows) :wink:
but only newer UWP Apps support it so even Explorer (SysListview32) have Scrollbar

neverless Listview do not real need Scrollbar while, when have Focus, you can scroll with Mouse-Wheel or 2 Finger on Touchpad.
that is "build-in" OS what i recognize when try my own Control on Table-PC with Touch-Screen.
i don't have to enhance my Code but Touch-Screen must support it.

same with TC "TmyListbox" so no real need for Scrollbar which can be disable by LVS_NOSCROL Style.

why i vote for LVS_NOSCROL Option ? :?:
i still found no solution to color Scrollbar, when it appear, for Darkmode ... :roll:
Joeyy

Post by *Joeyy »

Dalai wrote: 2019-03-30, 16:10 UTC At last, I find someone who wants to hide scrollbars. Please answer me one question: Why do you want to hide the scrollbars? What's the advantage of hiding them, or the disadvantage of showing them?

Really, I'm curious, because I've been wondering for years where this nonsense is coming from, that it's not possible anymore to see if there's more content in a window by just looking at the scrollbar position.

Regards
Dalai
Thank you for your reply. :D

Actually, I almost never use the scroll bars. When there's too many items in the panel, I just press the first letter key of the items or just quick search.

Secondly, I love focus mode. If there's fewer visual elements, there is more focus.

Lastly, maybe you like it, maybe not, but I think you should give users the options. People are different. :D
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

yiuimex wrote: 2019-03-31, 03:45 UTC hi,

Dalai wrote: ↑
Sat 19-03-30 17:10:30
At last, I find someone who wants to hide scrollbars.

this is default under Windows 10 (Automatische Ausblenden von Bildlaufleisten in Windows) :wink:
"automatic hide scrollbars in windows" has a little different behavior than generally hiding scrollbars:
- The scroll bars are only hidden if the window does not have the focus or the mouse does not hover the window.
- If focused, the scroll bars are still visible (to indicate the position of the content) but the the size is smaller than usally.
- if you hover the scroll bar with the mouse they will be expanded to normal size.

if you are a fan of animated movements at the periphery of your field of vision while moving the mouse or tabbing through windows you may leave this option active;-)

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

To my knowledge, you cannot hide the scrollbar in normal desktop program listboxes. There is an option to always show scrollbars, even if the list has fewer elements than can be shown in the available space, but none to hide scrollbars.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
yiuimex

Post by *yiuimex »

moin,
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-03-31, 08:55 UTCTo my knowledge, you cannot hide the scrollbar in normal desktop program listboxes.
uuuuups ... so "TmyListbox" is a multi-Column WC_LISTBOX and not a WC_LISTVIEW, sorry :roll:

neverless it use WS_VSCROLL so it is possible to reduce Style BUT
let say you can see 10 but have 20. when switch from 10 to 11 than WS_VSCROLL bar appear again. :(
so there seems no Solution for Listbox
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

Hello Everybody. :)

A small plea: When somebody asks, whether a feature is possible in TC, please just write an answer.
I see absolutely no point in telling the person, directly and indirectly, that you think, it is a stupid question.
And if you DO think so, please don't answer.

PS: I have enjoyed this forum for more than 15 years, because everybody always tries to give positive and serious answers, - even to Mak..... :D

PPS: I would love a switch in TC to make the scrollbar autohide. I love switches. The more the merrier.. :twisted:

Everybody keep up the good work.
I luv u all madly. :mrgreen:
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Joeyy wrote: 2019-03-31, 05:34 UTCActually, I almost never use the scroll bars.
I rarely use, i.e. grab them with the mouse, either. But I want to see them - always. Just to see if there's more content than currently fits on the screen.
When there's too many items in the panel, I just press the first letter key of the items or just quick search.
I use quick search (or rather quick filter) in such a case, when I'm too lazy to look for an item manually.
Secondly, I love focus mode. If there's fewer visual elements, there is more focus.
What's focus mode?
Lastly, maybe you like it, maybe not, but I think you should give users the options. People are different. :D
I don't mind people wanting to hide scrollbars. I just want to know where the advantage is. I want to understand why they want it. Because currently I don't. Hiding something that's only a few pixels wide/high is ... uh ... how to phrase that without sounding offensive.... Same applies to status bars in browsers for me. But as you said, people are different, and I indeed like options - unlike Microsoft apparently who doesn't provide enough options in Windows.

@HerbieH:
Guess you are refering to my post above. Well, as I already said: I don't think it's a stupid question. I just want to understand and know where this trend of hiding important GUI elements is coming from, beyond the particular question in this thread.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2yiuimex
when have Focus, you can scroll with Mouse-Wheel or 2 Finger on Touchpad.
Not all mice has a scrollwheel.

Anyway, I am not against this request, as long as it is as an option. I don't prioritize it high though.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

HerbieH wrote: 2019-03-31, 15:02 UTC A small plea: When somebody asks, whether a feature is possible in TC, please just write an answer.
Okay: it's not possible without a huge amount of dirty hacks.

One can use
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/Winuser/nf-winuser-showscrollbar
to hide the scrollbar.
AHK Test Code to hide the vertical scroll bar (<Win+Shift+H>)

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
#+h::
 ControlGet, handle1, Hwnd,,LCLListBox1
 ShowScrollBar(handle1,1,False)
 ControlGet, handle2, Hwnd,,LCLListBox2
 ShowScrollBar(handle2,1,False)
return
;....
ShowScrollBar(hLV,wBar,p_Show=True)
    {
    Static Dummy6622

;-- Scroll bar flags
          ,SB_HORZ:=0
            ;-- Shows or hides a window's standard horizontal scroll bars.

,SB_VERT:=1
            ;-- Shows or hides a window's standard vertical scroll bar.

,SB_CTL:=2
            ;-- Shows or hides a scroll bar control. The hLV parameter must be
            ;   the handle to the scroll bar control.

,SB_BOTH:=3
            ;-- Shows or hides a window's standard horizontal and vertical
            ;   scroll bars.

RC:=DllCall("ShowScrollBar"
        ,(A_PtrSize=8) ? "Ptr":"UInt",hLV               ;-- hWnd
        ,"UInt",wBar                                    ;-- wbar
        ,"UInt",p_Show)                                 ;-- bShow

Return RC ? True:False
    }
- Unfortunately the hidden scroll bar will also disable scrolling using the mouse wheel.
- Every scroll caused by arrow up/down or PgUp/PgDwn or a resize of the window will bring the scroll bar back into view.
HerbieH wrote: 2019-03-31, 15:02 UTC I would love a switch in TC to make the scrollbar autohide.
I guess you need a lot of good arguments about the usefulness of such a switch to convince Christian to implement dirty hacks to overcome the drawbacks of hiding scroll bars.
But that's only my opinion.

PS: scroll bar autohide is already here if there is not enough content to scroll;-)

PPS: a less expensive method to hide (or make it less prominent) may be to set the width or high of the scroll bar to a fewer number of pixels (1 or 2).

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again