Eliminate The MRT Results That Won't Change

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

Eliminate The MRT Results That Won't Change

Post by *Phred »

I found myself composing an MRT command on a few hundred files yet I had to search assiduously in the New name column for the effects of my chosen syntax. It was not obvious that my expressions were actually what I intended. I may have made a mistake - and, indeed I have, many times, discovered only much later - but my errors weren't apparent in the 'detritus' of all non-affected rows.

I feel it would be helpful to be able to eliminate those results that my specifications didn't apply to - much in the same way that Everything eliminates results as you type.
Once again the idea of 'pseudo list-boxes' arises - panels that behave like the standard TC list-boxes (panels) even though they're transient, whereby results can be treated as core lists where every column is sortable and columns choosable. Think also 'Feed to listbox' that returns ONLY path-filenames, unfortunately. But that's another topic.

Perhaps an annunciator in the New name column could say '[No change]', leaving the original name showing for further examination.
This I believe.
Last edited by Phred on 2019-04-26, 19:34 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Phred

Re: Eliminate The MRT Results That Won't Change

Post by *Phred »

When I ran Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell's Autoruns recently it occurred to me that their technique of altering the background colour of rows with different characteristics could lend itself to the idea suggested here.
In Autoruns, the standard auto-startup items have white, normal, backgrounds, unsigned rows have pink backgrounds and 'not found' items are yellow.

I believe that the MRT could have a similar feature: a black-on-white appearance for changing rows (as is the case now), a faint background colour for selected, included, items that aren't about to change (green, pure, untouched?) and perhaps a colour for those that are changing only because case is not being respected (pink, simple warning, alert?).
Or some other characteristic.

the quick brown fox - the quick red fox [brown/red] [^_]
the quick beige fox - the quick beige fox [brown/red] [^_]
The Quick Brown Fox - The Quick red Fox [brown/red] [^_]
The Quick Brown Fox - The Quick Brown Fox [brown/red] [^x]

(backgrounds unavailable in this forum, apparently)

And the option of sorting by every column would be very valuable. And by colour.

More information is useful IMO.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.