How to set default file search options

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ferenczy

How to set default file search options

Post by *ferenczy »

I want to set certain file search (Alt + F7) options as default, so I don't have to set them every time I use the search. How can I do it, please?

I need mainly to ignore VCS directories (.git, .svn, etc.). That means, to set it, I need to open the Plugins tab, check the Search using plugins checkbox and add rules for "tc" plugin, "full path" attribute, "!contain" operation and values like "\.git\", "\.svn\", etc. (names may differ, I don't have TC in English).

It takes some time to configure it and I need it always (or I don't usually need the opposite - to search in VCS directories), so I want it as a default configuration. I know I can save it under some identifier and then load it before use, but still, that's too much work to load it before every search.

Thank you.
Dawid Ferenczy
ferenczy

Re: How to set default file search options

Post by *ferenczy »

BTW I just noticed — even if I have set that the Path of a file must not contain a VCS directory as I described in the previous post, it looks like TC searches inside that directory anyway, it just won't add anything from there into the search results, am I right?

If yes, then it's not what I need because my point is mainly to speed up the search by not searching VCS directories. So I would have an additional question: is it possible to configure TC to completely ignore some predefined directories from search and set it as a default setting, please?
Dawid Ferenczy
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to set default file search options

Post by *petermad »

You don't need to use plugins.
Just put this in the "Search for:" fiels:

Code: Select all

|.git\ .svn\
When it works as you want, then you save the search - click the Tab "Load/Save" and click "Save" - give the search a name like"NoVCSfiles"

You can now start the search with the saved search with for example this button:

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
LOADSEARCH NoVCSfiles

wciconex.dll,47

To make the button:
1. Mark the green text above (click SELECT ALL).
2. Copy it to the ClipBoard (press Ctri+C).
3. Right click on TC's buttonbar and choose "Paste".

You can also make this em_command in your usercmd.ini file:

[em_novcs]
cmd=LOADSEARCH NoVCSfiles
and then remap for example Ctrl+Alt+F7 to the em_novcs command.

------------------------------

If you never need to do anything with the files in .git .svn etc. you can consider in stead putting those directories in the ignore list: "Configuration" -> Options..." -> "Ignore list" - then these directories will be completely ignored everywhere in TC - but you cannot see them in TC' s file panels either.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar