New Android plugin - Wifi transfer

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Wandrer

Re: New Android plugin - Wifi transfer

Post by *Wandrer »

I have a strange problem.

In the past i got between 60MB/s and 80MB/s over the wifi plugin. Now it's only 7MB/s for one file and no more than 2MB/s for many files.

I'm on a AC network with the computer on 1GB/s full duplex and the smartphone (two antennas) right next to the router.
I'm writing on a SSD which should be able to write more than 500MB/s.

Nothing changed, excluding Windows 10 and Android updates.

Does anyone have an idea why the transfer rate got so low?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are the files located in the same place? External SD cards can be quite a bit slower than internal memory (/storage/emulated/0).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Wandrer

Post by *Wandrer »

The Android devices doesn't have a SDCart slot. Only 128GB internal memory.

Huawei P20Pro with Android 9.0 and April security patch. Build number: 9.0.0.270(C432E5R1P9).

The problem shows either if i'm using energy saving mode or not. Actually there is no difference between both in transfer speed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see - Huawei is a bit problematic because it has very strict energy saving.

Try disabling it on the Android settings - App-Start - Totalcmd-Wifi-Transfer. Set to manual and all options enabled.
Wandrer

Post by *Wandrer »

Already did that on the day i installed the wifi plug on the day i got the device.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What client do you use on the Windows side? You can try with Total Commander for Windows (WebDAV plugin), Explorer (mount as Web folder), and of course the various Web browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, Opera.
rsa

Post by *rsa »

In Google Play the recent version of the WiFi/WLAN-Plugin is 3.1.
On the website ghisler.com the latest version of the plugin is 3.0 (Total Commander / Android plugins and Total Commander / Android Wifi transfer plugin).

It seems that 3.1 is the latest and recommended version, isn't it?
Since I don't use Google Play (and even not Google Play Services) I always have to pick up APK's manually (or use Yalp Store or something like this).
It would be fine to have the latest versions of the plugins also on the website.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes it is, but I will release 3.2 very soon.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new plugin version 3.2 is out now!

It now adds uploaded files (e.g. images, music, videos) to the media database, so the Android apps which use it can see the files.
rsa

Post by *rsa »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-06-14, 09:57 UTC The new plugin version 3.2 is out now!
Fine!

It's also no available from www.ghisler.com/androidplugins/download/ but not at www.ghisler.com/androidplugins/wifi/ (maybe it might be better to change the "Download+Install" link just to the general androidplugins-download page).
CharlieSmith

Post by *CharlieSmith »

Problem with clearing TC WiFi Transfer server queue.

Using TC for Android 2.91 and TC WiFi Transfer 3.20 on Android 7.0.

I can select 3 files on Android phone and transfer it via WiFi to my WIndows PC, no problem.

Then later I again select 2 new files on the phone and transfer those also via WiFi to my WIndows PC, but now the first 3 files are again transferred with the 2 new files.

How do I clear the files listed by the server for transfer after the first transfer operation ? The only way I could do that was to select the TC WiFi Transfer app on the phone and "Force Stop" the app, which is probably not the way it should work.

Where do I go wrong ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

To clear the list, you need to stop sharing in the plugin: Tap on the notification to return to the plugin dialog, and there tap on the button in the upper right, "Stop server". Then you can either restart sharing with the existing files, or share some new files. In the latter case, the previous files will be removed. If you don't stop the server, the previous files will be kept.
CharlieSmith

Post by *CharlieSmith »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-06-24, 13:18 UTC To clear the list, you need to stop sharing in the plugin: Tap on the notification to return to the plugin dialog, and there tap on the button in the upper right, "Stop server". Then you can either restart sharing with the existing files, or share some new files. In the latter case, the previous files will be removed. If you don't stop the server, the previous files will be kept.
Thanks for the quick reply, I understand the logic now.

My mistake was that after stopping the server, I re-started the server to be ready for the next transfer operation.

Instead, I should have just started the new select and transfer operation, which would have automatically started a new instance of the server with only the newly selected files in the list for sharing.

Note: I have been using Total Commander for MANY years, my license number is #514.
AlexKniga

Post by *AlexKniga »

How to run the Wifi transfer without WiFi?
I connected the android to the computer via usb-cable. I want to connect the device as a UFD disk, not MTP. Android 8 does not allow you to connect as UFD, only MTP or PTP. For full access to the device files, I want to run a WebDAV service on android and use the WebDAV plugin in the TC in the Windows. The device is in the Usb-modem mode. That is, the device and the computer are on the same network. How to run the Wifi transfer in existing acting LAN?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, you can't use it that way - it needs a local IP address, e.g. when connected via LAN or WLAN. When connected via USB, the data transfer is possible via MTP (Windows Explorer) or via ADB (Android Debug Bridge).