Zone Alarm Blocks Off FTP With Total Commander

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hermes11

Zone Alarm Blocks Off FTP With Total Commander

Post by *hermes11 »

All of a sudden, Zone Alarm 4.5 is blocking total Commander from FTPing anywhere. Total commander FTPs fine as soon as I Disable Zone Alarm. I am using Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

hermes11[face=arial][/face][b][/b]
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Delete rule for TC and reconnect.

Accept outgoing traffic to remote port 21 and incoming traffic on port 20, that's all.

Offtopic:
If you want to make your computer secure ZoneAlarm is no good choice.
You should start closing all unnecessary open service ports from 1-1023+ instead so that in the end you don't need a firewall for inbound protection anymore.
The only reason to use a PFW should be outbound protection aka phoning home.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Mercade

Post by *Mercade »

Also off-topic: Of course closing ports, etc, is something for a power user, and not necessarily recommended for any layman. Before you know it, you kill too much and cannot access even internet anymore to ask for help ;-)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Of course closing ports, etc, is something for a power user, and not necessarily recommended for any layman.
On the contrary, especially laymen should inform before using firewalls as those are the first that get infected by trojans 'cause they are trained in answering those "annoying" checkboxes:
Allow access? yes - no - always.

The best you can do when have no clue is to use the XP built-in firewall 'cause that one "at least" doesn't allow other listening ports than the default ones by default...
Before you know it, you kill too much and cannot access even internet anymore to ask for help
You don't need any open service ports to access the internet. ;)

Laymen can inform here for example:
http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html

With the available batch file and a few manual operations to close the netbios ports most security risks can be shutdown in no time. Windows patches are obligatory of course anyway... ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2icfu
I would have bet that you will give advice for the laymen in your next post.

Thanks

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
hermes11

How Do I Delete the Rule and How to Assign Ports?

Post by *hermes11 »

I have the following two "rules" to follow:
How do I delete the rule for TC? What does this mean? Remove the listing of TC, which comes back every time I run it, or uncheck all expert rules, which has achieved nothing?
And how do I accept outgoing traffic to port 21 and incoming traffic to port 20?

Thank you!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

How do I delete the rule for TC? What does this mean? Remove the listing of TC, which comes back every time I run it
Exactly.
or uncheck all expert rules, which has achieved nothing?
If you have made expert rules without being an expert it will be wise to delete them, too. I can't tell you which rule to remove 'cause I have no idea which rules you have set, sorry.
And how do I accept outgoing traffic to port 21 and incoming traffic to port 20?
You have to specify a port rule. If you have the basic version of ZoneAlarm you can't set any additional rules anyway iirc. Anyway, ZoneAlarm should popup a dialog box itself when you try to FTP, one dialog box is outgoing traffic, the other one is incoming traffic.

Why have you installed ZoneAlarm at all when you don't take the time to look how it works in the help file for example?

A firewall you don't understand is worse than using no firewall at all.

Icfu
This account is for sale
hermes11

Post by *hermes11 »

I hate it when you people waste bandwith saying absolutely nothing. I asked a question: either answer it, or stay away from my messages. YOU are the one who does not know what HE is talking about. YOU are the one what does not know why ZoneAlarm is blocking TC off. You are the one who does not know anynothing about ZoneAlaram in connection with TC. YOU are the one who wastes everybody's time. On top of this, YOU do your best to be childishly ... ironic.

hermes
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I have answered your questions and have tried to help you. Unfortunately you are too bitchy to understand what I have told you. I have other things to do than to waste my time here, indeed.

RTFM and format C, dumbfuck.

*plonk*

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2icfu
icfu wrote: format C
Maybe /autotest ....
just a suggestion ;)

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

icfu wrote:Why have you installed ZoneAlarm at all when you don't take the time to look how it works in the help file for example?

A firewall you don't understand is worse than using no firewall at all.
Well, I can almost understand hermes11 reaction, that 2 statements sounded a bit aggresive :twisted: :D
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

At least you can only "almost" understand his reaction. ;)

The first statement is a logical reaction: hermes11 seems to think that it is my or someone else's task to install crappy ZoneAlarm to explain him how exactly he has to use the mouse to specify the TC rule and delete expert rules. Who am I, his nanny or what? He can look in the help file himself, no?

The second statement is not aggressive at all, "you" means "one" in this case and the statement is nothing more than true. hermes11 knows nothing about ports, he knows nothing about rules, he doesn't even know how to use the "firewall" he has installed. No, this is not bad in first case but as he refuses to learn and instead tells me I am wasting my bandwidth, sorry, this is not my problem, it's his problem.

Please do the job, install ZoneAlarm and tell him how to solve his problem, I am sure that your glass sphere is not defective line mine. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
bobputnam

Post by *bobputnam »

Bob P
3-User License 71012