Total Commander - is there a manual?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ramaie

Total Commander - is there a manual?

Post by *Ramaie »

Is there a manual for Total Commander? I have searched and come up empty.

I did find two helpful things:

To edit the registry -
Hit the "\" key on the top right and then you will see a folder list.
The first folder is "\\Plugins" - double click
Another folder list will appear with 3 folders named "ftp, LAN and registry" Double click on the folder named "registry"

If can't save a file, click hand holding paper icon and uncheck "read only"

User modified his post to add Spam with URL in signature >> spam removed >> User banned

Please help us and report such post (see the [!] button) if you find them on browsing the forum, thanks.

[MTAG]
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander - is there a manual?

Post by *petermad »

License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Regrettably, no.
The trouble is that the program is changing so continuously it would likely be a full-time job to maintain a description and examples of every feature.
Author Ghisler and his brother run the business and there's no likely documentation maintainer, unfortunate though that is.
There's many features in TC that most users will never discover - unless they assiduously study Help and the what's new section of HISTORY.TXT, but that's the way it is.

What we can be grateful for is the incorporated Help file/window that's local on our machines. We don't have to suffer the interminable delay when F1 starts or brings up a browser - and perhaps the warning that our browser is already open when we use browser profiles that can't be 're-opened' - that other programs employ.

The other aspect of documentation is that competent/accurate technical writers are hard to find.
I regret to have to say that your example provides a case in point:
'To edit the registry -
Hit the "\" key on the top right and then you will see a folder list.'

Top right of the keyboard (a /)? In a TC window? On mine, the top right is a black X in a red square; alternatively, there's the word Help, or icons (without hover-over annunciator) \ and ..
In Regedit?
Does 'Hit' mean type \ on the keyboard or click \, above, or the backslash in the right 'button bar'?
I'm afraid I can't follow your helpful things.

And that's the challenge of documentation.
Learn how to research Help, and browse the Wiki that petermad refers you to, and even contribute to it from time to time - and test what you write; it's interactive. And familiarise yourself with the way this forum works and learn how to search in it, awkward though that often is.

Maybe if there's a chargeable upgrade for version 10 there will be sufficient funds for a professional documentation writer.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Ramaie wrote: 2019-06-20, 11:04 UTC Is there a manual for Total Commander? I have searched and come up empty.

Well, kind off

FAQs: Summary - Tips & Tricks collection >> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52425

General Information:
The FAQ on TC home page > https://www.ghisler.com/efaquser.htm
TOTALCMD.CHM , MENU Help, F1-key
History.txt > https://www.ghisler.com/history.txt
Wiki > https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Forum > Total Commander (English) >> viewforum.php?f=3