How to open TC Help chm file maximized?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

misvin

How to open TC Help chm file maximized?

Post by *misvin »

When I open the TC 9.22a (both 32-bit and 64-bit) built-in help (F1 or Help button in all dialog boxes), the Help window opens, but it is not maximized. And I always need to click on the "Maximize" button.
If I change the location and size of the help window, close it and reopen it again, then Help window "remembers" the last location and size, but this is not a maximized state.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to open TC Help chm file maximized?

Post by *Usher »

Don't maximize, it's futile (blocked by system). Resize help to any size you need and this setting will be saved. If you use procFS wfx plugin, you can easy resize the help window to your screen size:
Press F1 in TC to open help, go back (Alt+Tab) to TC and open procFS plugin. Find and open TC exe on the list there, select bolded Total Commander object with "HH Parent" Class and change its size. For example, for 1920x1080 screen set Top=0, Left=0, Width=1920 and Height=1080. The help will be resized immediately in the back ground. Click "Close" in plugin and you're done.

You can set even larger size if you want to hide window border, for example in Windows XP you can set Top=-4, Left=-4, Width=1928, Height=1088 and watch fake maximized window, but this size isn't saved as is - it will be moved and resized to Top=0, Left=0, Width=1920 and Height=1087 on the next help run.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Usher wrote: 2019-06-29, 21:45 UTC Don't maximize, it's futile (blocked by system). Resize help to any size you need and this setting will be saved. If you use procFS wfx plugin, you can easy resize the help window to your screen size:
Press F1 in TC to open help, go back (Alt+Tab) to TC and open procFS plugin. Find and open TC exe on the list there, select bolded Total Commander object with "HH Parent" Class and change its size. For example, for 1920x1080 screen set Top=0, Left=0, Width=1920 and Height=1080. The help will be resized immediately in the back ground. Click "Close" in plugin and you're done.

You can set even larger size if you want to hide window border, for example in Windows XP you can set Top=-4, Left=-4, Width=1928, Height=1088 and watch fake maximized window, but this size isn't saved as is - it will be moved and resized to Top=0, Left=0, Width=1920 and Height=1087 on the next help run.
I'm using Windows 10 and if i set the help window size that way, the size will lost when close/open the help window, so it is easier to maximize the help window and leave it open.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ts4242
Which way do you mean - manual or by procFS?
1. In Windows Vista+ there is snap feature - when you move/resize window and get near to any screen edge, the window will be automatically stretched to edges. In such cases system saves the last fixed size/position before snap. That's why manual resizing isn't easy - you should do resizing in a few steps.
2. If system reads procFS settings Top=0, Left=0, Width=1920 and Height=1080 as snap, you can test smaller size, out of snap zone, f.e.: Top=10, Left=10, Width=1900 and Height=1060. I don't remember default size of snap zone, so you should test it on your own.
3. Finally, you can disable snap feature or possibly change snap zone size.
4. There's another workaround: attach one more display and move help file there ;-)
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Usher wrote: 2019-06-30, 13:04 UTC 2ts4242
Which way do you mean - manual or by procFS?
I mean by ProcFS, the help window doesn't preserve the new size after close/re-open (mainly Left and Width).
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

ts4242 wrote: 2019-06-30, 20:21 UTC I mean by ProcFS, the help window doesn't preserve the new size after close/re-open (mainly Left and Width).
But I did mention it - in my example for Windows XP. In Win 10 it could be only worse :-(
Andrzej P. Wozniak