MinimizeOnClose = 1 Stopped Working

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Unhjem

MinimizeOnClose = 1 Stopped Working

Post by *Unhjem »

Several weeks ago MinimizeOnClose = 1 stopped working. Instead the program exits. It had beeen working fine with 9.22a.
Windows 10 64-bit, TC 9.22a.
I went through the wincmd.ini file verifying each entry against the ini file settings.
Is there any other ini fiole setting that would prevent MinimizeOnClose = 1 from working?

The following ini file entries seemed relevant:
[Configuration]
MinimizeOnClose=1
TrayIcon=1
[Shortcuts]
F2=cm_RenameOnly
S+F6=cm_Rereadsource

I can send he whole ini file separately.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: MinimizeOnClose = 1 Stopped Working

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Works fine here.

The reason for this behavior may be:
- you are looking at the wrong wincmd.ini file => open it via "Settings - Change Settings Files Directly"
- you have more than one entry "MinimizeOnClose" at your wincmd.ini file => search for more entries and delete them
#5767 Personal license
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

TC Help wrote:MinimizeOnClose Minimize main window instead of closing it. Sum of:
1: When clicking on [X] button.
2: On Alt+F4 keyboard shortcut.
4: Click on function key button "Alt+F4 Exit"

Note: Shift key forces close.
According to this documentation, MinimizeOnClose=1 means TC still close on Alt+F4 & Click on function key button, set MinimizeOnClose=7 to minimize on all close methods.
DelphiDev

Post by *DelphiDev »

ts4242 wrote: 2019-07-01, 23:09 UTC According to this documentation, MinimizeOnClose=1 means TC still close on Alt+F4 & Click on function key button, set MinimizeOnClose=7 to minimize on all close methods.
I didn't know this existed. I often accidentally or routinely close TC so this is really helpful. Thanks.
Unhjem

Post by *Unhjem »

sqa_wizard:
I am looking at the correct wincmd.ini file:
c:\Users\marku\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER\wincmd.ini 14.7 k 07/02/2019 19:40 -a--
There is only one entry "MinimizeOnClose"
Tusen Takk (a thousand thanks in Norwegian)

ts4242
I changed "MinimizeOnClose" to 7 and it still closed TCDR.
Tack så mycket (thanks so much in Swedish)

Mark (I'm 5/8ths Norwegian and 3/8ths Swedish)
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Unhjem wrote: 2019-07-01, 18:26 UTCThe following ini file entries seemed relevant:
[Configuration]
MinimizeOnClose=1
TrayIcon=1
Sorry, but are you sure TC is closed? When minimize TC while TrayIcon=1 , it seems as it is closed but it is still running, its icon just disappear from the taskbar and goes to notification area.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please click on the triangle which points up (looks like a tiny roof) in the notification area. If the icon is there, you can always make it appear in the main notification area, but it depends on the Windows version how to do this.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Unhjem

Post by *Unhjem »

Gentlemen,

I have been working with computers (both analog and digital) since 1965, mostly as an engineering tool. That included keypunching Hollerith cards and opening the RAM drawer to make sure all the ferrite rings and wires were intact. I have programmed in FORTRAN and Run-Time Basic, and used more operating systems than I can remember. I have run small stand-alone computer networks, and acted as the work-group interface for enterprise systems.

I spent a bit of time checking all the things you have suggested before contacting you including:
• The hidden notification area; I have had icons migrate there in the past.
• The selections in Settings > Rationalization > Taskbar > Select which icons appear on the Taskbar. Total Commander is set to On.
• Looking at both the Tasks and Processes sections of three Task Managers (Windows, DTASK, and System Explorer) when Total Commander is up and after I click on the [X] button in both sections Total Commander was listed before but disappeared immediately after.
• Ran the Registry Clean section of iObit Advanced System Care 12.5, with no effect on this issue.
• Reinstalled Total Commander.
• Checked and rechecked the wincmd.ini file against the help file, even reordering the lines in my file to match the help file order.
• Checked the wincmd.ini file for duplicate entries.
• Checked the contents and values of the recent wincmd.ini files to previous ones.
• Added a Total Commander Bar button to use cm_Minimize; that minimized Total Commander as expected, and did not change in the Tasks and Processes sections of the three Task Managers.

I probably use less than 5% of Total Commander's enormous range of capabilities, but I cannot imagine not having all the capabilities I use and treasure.
Mark
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Unhjem

When something like this occurs, it is always a good idea to try with a clean wincmd.ini file, to rule out errors in you present wincmd.ini file. So make a backup of your wincmd.ini file. Delete everytning in you present wincmd.ini file and add these 3 lines:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
MinimizeOnClose=7
TrayIcon=1
If you currently have a:

Code: Select all

UseIniInProgramDir=
entry in your wincmd.ini then put that in your new wincmd.ini file as well

Don't save the file in your text editor until AFTER you have closed all instances of TC running - then save the file and restart TC. If the minimize-on-close now works - it is obvious that you have an error in your previous wincmd.ini file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Unhjem wrote: 2019-07-08, 04:37 UTC[...] when Total Commander is up and after I click on the [X] button in both sections Total Commander was listed before but disappeared immediately after.
That sounds to me that you have some kind of system tool running that integrates with the system control buttons (minimize/maximize/close) and overrides (some of) them. I'm talking about the direction of RBTray, AquaSnap and the like, which hook into all processes to make their functionality available.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror