How can one find the number of the text to change ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fredvej

How can one find the number of the text to change ?

Post by *fredvej »

I want to change the jump letters in some of the dialogues. Some default dialogues have no jump letters, this is not very practical if one wants to avoid having to fiddle about with the mouse.

How does one find out which text strings are used where ? How do the translators do it ?

It could be practical to be able to export the default hardcoded language to an LNG file, and even better if the number of the text string is in the text string itself, e.g. 1254="1254 &Overwrite;&Resume\t&Abort" . Using this LNG file with numbers one can see in the Commander itself which number text to change to alter any given dialogue. One would still have the trouble of finding all the places that any particular text is used, I can see that a text can be used in different contexts.

I made a short LNG file containing only my changes :

1254="&Overwrite;&Resume\t&Abort"
1310="&Yes;&No;&Skip"
1410="Copy &NTFS permissions (may need administrator rights)"
1472="&Add URL to download"
1473="Add selected items for &downloading"
1474="Add selected items for &copying"
1475="Add selected items for &moving"
1476="Add selected items for &uploading"
1479="&Edit list file"
5609="Cas&e sensitive"
5851="&Binary"
5930="&Options"

Doing this I stumbled on something funny.

Text 5609 is used in Find Files and Compare Tool. The default text has a jump letter in Find Files but none in Compare Tool. By defining 5609 the jump letter works in both places.

Text 5851 is used in the dialogue to configure lister and in Compare Tool. The default text has a jump letter in the dialogue but none in Compare Tool. If text 5851 is not defined in the LNG file, it is missing in Compare Tool. Compare Tool ignores the jump letter.

It would be nice if the use of jump letters were more stringent. In the dialogue to overwrite a file with read-only attribute the choices are "&Overwrite;&All;&Skip;&Cancel". In the dialogue that appears after an attempt to write to a copy protected floppy the choices are "&Skip;R&&Abort". In the first dialogue A is for overwriting All, in the second for Abort. Aborting the process in the first dialogue calls for Cancel. Wouldn't it be nice if the same jump letter were used for the same action in the dialogues ?

Until this is rectified, one may create an LNG file with ones own texts containing jump letters. Ooops, I seem to be starting a loop here, I'd better get off now ;-)
Best regards
Freddy Vejen
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Try to comment out some string, e.g. 5851.

In LNG file:
{5851="&Binary:"}

In dialogs you will see:
Binary:"}
:)
fredvej wrote:How does one find out which text strings are used where ? How do the translators do it ?
It's easy. Open wcmd_eng.lng, press Find and type the text that appears on a button or in other control (paying attention to jump keys).
fredvej wrote:It could be practical to be able to export the default hardcoded language to an LNG file
I agree it's more convenient than downloading from the site.
fredvej wrote:and even better if the number of the text string is in the text string itself, e.g. 1254="1254 &Overwrite;&Resume\t&Abort".
I think it's superfluous...
Last edited by Valentino on 2003-03-14, 23:45 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
fredvej

Post by *fredvej »

fredvej wrote:
How does one find out which text strings are used where ? How do the translators do it ?
It's easy. Open wcmd_eng.lng, press Find and type the text that appears on a button or in other control (paying attention to jump keys).
wcmd_eng.lng is not in the distribution archive tcmd551.exe. If it were that easy I would have done what you suggest. Still, your suggestion only brings half of what one needs, it does not show all the places the text is used. Suppose I want to change &Skip in one dialogue but not everywhere, how can I know which of the many texts containing &Skip to change - short of trial and error ? How can I know that my changing a particular text does not have an unwanted effect in some other dialogue somewhere ? Texts can be used in different unrelated contexts.

Exporting the default hardcoded language to an LNG file is not a question of convenience, it is to ensure that the LNG file contains all the texts and that they are correct - to use an LNG file found somewhere would be to depend on that a human has not overlooked anything when editing the file. Let us leave the tedious tasks like this to the computers.

Numbers in the exported texts can be made using sed and awk like this :
sed -e 's/="/=/' -e 's/"$//' WCMD_DAN.LNG | awk -F= '{print $1 "=" $1 " " $2}' | sed -e 's/=/="/' -e 's/.$/&"/' -e 's/^=.*//' > WCMD_num.LNG
One must ensure that the resulting file uses CR LF as end of line marker.

Numbers in the texts can be used to identify which text is used in the dialogue one wants to change, e.g. which one of the texts containing &Skip.
Try to comment out some string, e.g. 5851.

In LNG file:
{5851="&Binary:"}

In dialogs you will see:
Binary:"}
This does not adress my observation : If text 5851 is not in the LNG file used, no text appears on the place in Compare Tool - not even the hard coded default as it should.
Best regards
Freddy Vejen
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

wcmd_eng.lng is not in the distribution archive tcmd551.exe.
of course it is !!! but if you chose to install only the dutch language, the file has not been extracted.

have a look inside tcmd551.exe (ctrl+PgDn) then Install.cab (ctrl+PgDn) then the directory "Language" : all the languages are present, among them wcmd_eng.lng :)
Benoît
# 4081
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hmm, I do not see it there... you sure you don't mean wcmd_eng.mnu?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Renard_Roux

Post by *Renard_Roux »

2ben hub
of couse it is not there as separate file. you must be confused by (E)Spanish. English is built-in language in TС.
If you want to get the separate file follow the link http://ghisler.fileburst.com/languages/wcmd_eng.zip
# 85814 Personal licence
ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:
Roman is right...
Benoît
# 4081