Install new version of TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

matu89

Install new version of TC

Post by *matu89 »

how i change version of TC without loosing all my settings ( including commands buttons etc..)

thanks.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Install new version of TC

Post by *Horst.Epp »

You don't loose settings if you just install into the current TC dir.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Phred

Re: Install new version of TC

Post by *Phred »

You won't lose [sic] your settings by overwriting or updating your installation of TC since the configuration options you chose in usage are saved in ini files.
I put mine in D:\Users\Public\ and reference them with "C:\Program Files\Total Commander\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /i=D:\Users\Public\wincmdPhred.ini /f=D:\Users\Public\wcx_ftp.ini on my separate data disk.
And I attached that to a shortcut on my desktop with a hotkey combination attached to that - since I don't operate for everyday activity as an administrator.
Many users here still operate unguarded with TC in C:\totalcmd (ugly name though that is) as admins, something that perplexes me mightily in these days of security flaws and aggressive exploitation. And Author Ghisler's installation routine STILL ignores the safer C:\Program Files\ convention.

I've not, however, come across a useful description of separately installing a beta version of TC that remains independent of Windows' uninstall feature while using the beta's installation routine. That may crop up here if we're lucky.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.