Alphabetical Sorting for MX Player and Total Commander for Android Do Not Match

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Aeroplane

Alphabetical Sorting for MX Player and Total Commander for Android Do Not Match

Post by *Aeroplane »

Mr. Ghisler,

1. I'm using MX Player as it can play all files without any problems in Onscreen navigation.

2. About 200 Video files are all Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and English filenames combined in one directory in Total Commander. Alphabetical Sorting.

3. How to resolve or synchronize Alphabetical Sorting? Especially since MX Player has its Rules while TC also has it's own which are not the same.

4. I cannot utilize TC Media Player because it does not play certain files with Onscreen navigation. It will play some files without Onscreen navigation, fwd, prev, stop, etc.

5. There is already a problem even with only English filenames because TC plays all filenames which are all uppercase first ahead of filenames which are all lowercase while MX Player puts all filenames that have only the first letter in uppercase ahead of ones which are all uppercase:

MX Player―

Freesound ➝FREESOUND➝freesound

TC―

FREESOUND➝freesound➝Freesound

There are even more subtleties with Numbers, Numbers with spaces in between, etc. Etc.

How do I make TC follow MX Player way of sorting?

6. Now to make matters complicated, how can I make TC follow the same Alphabetical Sorting when Spanish, Italian, English, and Portuguess, and even more languages are combined in one Directory ? Imagine all those vowels, and numbers from filenames of different languages... STOP ;-) I'm sure there's an easy way to synchronize or follow the sorting of MX Player. Or am I barking up the wrong tree ? Should I be asking MX Player instead ?

Sorry, I thought that since sorting is within the scope of File Managers and Explorers that you should receive the first salvo of my friendly fire so to speak ;-)

Sincerely,

Felipe
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Alphabetical Sorting for MX Player and Total Commander for Android Do Not Match

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, Here TC sorts as freesound ➝ Freesound ➝ FREESOUND, no matter which sorting method I chose in the configuration - see: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/casesorting.png

Windows Explorer sorts like: FRESOUND ➝ Freesound ➝ freesound - wich is more logical since capital letters have lower numbers in the ANSI table than lovercase letters See: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/casesortingExp.png

If you set TC to show the files Unsorted, it will show the files the way the NTFS file system sorts them (same as Explorer). See: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/casesortingNTFS.png

But neither TC's sorting, nor the Explorer sorting or the NTFS sorting sorts like your MX Player Freesound ➝FREESOUND➝freesound - which by the way is not logical - so I don't think that tere is much chance of gettin TC and MX Player to agree, of MX Player and Windows Explorer for that matter.

You should ask the MX Player people to conform with Explorer/NTFS - meanwhile I will make a bug report about TC not conrforming with Explorer/NTFS.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Aeroplane

Re: Alphabetical Sorting for MX Player and Total Commander for Android Do Not Match

Post by *Aeroplane »

Wow thank you for your complete and even more detailed reply and background data. It took a while to go over it all as I wanted to test each sorting method. Indeed now I see that TC's sorting method is superior and more logical with one clarification:

Problème - where the first 5 letters will be sorted as any regular sort obviously until it reaches the è where even words like Procreation will take precedence before Problème(?). Strange is it not ? The presence of the è relegated Problème to be at the very end of words that start with P. This is with MX Player and I should just stop right here so as not to confuse you with such illogical sorting method. But this mix of 5 latin-based languages (in this case) or even more seems to morph into a weird way of sorting because if Procreation came ahead of Problème only because of the è then french words as whole comes after english words which is now a highly unlikely rule to follow because as we all know Alphabetical sorting follows per character rule (not per word).

In this regard, I will proceed and insist on using TC sorting as basis and default vis-a-vis other apps.

Thank you again Petermad !

Aero
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Aeroplane wrote: 2019-10-22, 08:43 UTCProcreation came ahead of Problème only because of the è then french words
No, it's misunderstanding. In Latin-based alphabets sort order for common Latin letters is the same (as in English), even if the letters aren't formally present in some language (for example there are no QVX letters in Polish alphabet). It means that words beginning with "proc" always follow after "prob". There may be difference for words like French "Problème" and English "Problems", depending on lexicographic order in used language.
For example, in Polish there are separate places for "e" and "ę" letters (e with ogonek) while other diacritics (in éè) are ignored. It means that
- all words beginning with te, té, tè will be before ;
- "Problème" is before "Problems".
If any language sorts non-initial "è" separately, "Problème" will be after "Problems" in this language. Yes, there may be different rules for initial letters.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Aeroplane

Post by *Aeroplane »

1. Hi Usher,

I see, though it took quite a while as I had to check using TC Media Player this time with regards to each premise you cited. Thanks for the clarification, I really appreciate it.

So there really are subtleties in sorting when different languages are combined. That's just how it is.

2. To Petermad,

I have already sent MX Player an email about my dilemma with regards to their sorting and also furnished them a copy of this thread. Surprisingly, I received a short initial reply stating that they will study the matter with regards to the sorting method MX Player is using then will revert accordingly.

―But that they wanted to state that as a matter of fact, many users of MX Player are actually "Folder Players" or users who play from the File Manager/ Explorer like TC files using MX Player and furthermore, even using say pdx, txt readers, media players, viewers, of all kinds, etc. etc. Come to think of it, users like me (actually) have Total Commander Main Menu as like my homescreen, as its always the first app of the day that is launched.

―MX Player does have their own sorting, this is used or called on in the absence of a sorting method to follow coming from the File Manager that the file was played in. It must be noted that for Folder players, MX Player is the media player while the primary app, Total Commander, is where the file was opened from. MX Player will thus play the first file, say in a directory, there is no problem here. The first file is handed over to MX Player as per TC and MX Player will play this.

After the first file is played comes the second file because MX Player knows this and will look for this, and when there is no instruction from the File Manager, MX Player will thus use its own sorting method and play the next file based on alphabetical sort by default. And so on and on until the user will stop the player.

Now I don't know if TC, being the primary app for Folder players, should make sure that an instruction at the end of each file played instructing whatever media player is being used, what file to play next. In this regard, TC should
make sure that its sorting method must be followed. Again, MX Player only pointed out that
for Folders players, MX Player, in the absence of any instruction will use its own sorting method to arrive at the next file to play. T͟h͟i͟s͟ i͟s͟ o͟n͟l͟y͟ f͟o͟r͟ F͟o͟l͟d͟e͟r͟ P͟l͟a͟y͟e͟r͟s͟ which is the key point which File Managers must take note. Now since we know MX Player sorting was followed from the second file played and so on. Obviously, there was no instruction from the TC from second file onwards.

For the ones who use MX Player and play files from inside MX Player, its obvious that MX Player sorting method will be used thru and through.

They will revert as to the sorting method MX Player is using.

Sincerely,

Felipe