multi-rename tools placeholder don't insert in the cursor position

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dindog

multi-rename tools placeholder don't insert in the cursor position

Post by *dindog »

https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54679
First I reported as a suggestion, but I then find it's a locale bug, probably OS related, so I decided to open a new thread for better dicussion.

tested TC version: TC7.5,TC8.5,TC9.22a,TC9.5B4
my OS is : Windows 10 home edition build 17763

PROBLEM:
My TC's multi-rename tool don't insert the palceholder in the place where the cursor is. It will regardless where the cursor is or are there any text selected, insert the placeholder in the end any way.

And today I tested in a PE win10 system with fresh TC config profile still reproduce the problem, make me believe that it is not about my setting or any running application.

Then I try to switch the non-unicode application setting in control panel to English(US), restart my laptop and the problem fixed!! And I try other Chinese characters based language like Chinese traditional(Hong Kong) and also Japanese(Japan), they all have the same bug like Chinese Simplified(PRC).
(p.s the beta utf-8 option should NOT be checked!)

I don't know it's a TC bug or Windows bug, but wider tested is needed because I have only one laptop access at the moment.

I captured a animated screenshot tell the problem itself
https://i.postimg.cc/qM11W8bt/2.gif
I first add "[N]" then move the cursor at the beginning by mouse click, then try to insert "[C]" , I got [N][C] , instead of [C][N]
HuSc

Re: multi-rename tools placeholder don't insert in the cursor position

Post by *HuSc »

Hi,

I notice a similar placeholder effect when creating a new folder via "F7" key.

TC9.22a on Win7-x64

Steps with which I can reproduce that behaviour:

1) press F7 in a panel (on any arbitrary file/folder. Or even on "[..]" to get an empty input to type a new folder name from scratch)
2) position the cursor inside the displayed suggested name
3) select a placeholder via +/- button. ---> Placeholder gets placed exactly at the cusor position.
4) PROBLEM starts now: All further placeholder that I select get added at the *END* of the suggested folder name! Regardless where I position the cursor before.

Hubert
dindog

Post by *dindog »

I intalled and tested in Win 7 professional sp1 in a virtual machine today and also asked a few of my friend tested in their own platform, all got the same result.
It's bug has relevance to the Windows non-Unicode settings, which affects only some locale, but definity a bug, other programs' text input field just works as TC does in English(US) or German(Germany) locale.
Please fix it...
dindog

Post by *dindog »

HuSc wrote: 2019-11-18, 08:07 UTC Hi,

I notice a similar placeholder effect when creating a new folder via "F7" key.

TC9.22a on Win7-x64

Steps with which I can reproduce that behaviour:

1) press F7 in a panel (on any arbitrary file/folder. Or even on "[..]" to get an empty input to type a new folder name from scratch)
2) position the cursor inside the displayed suggested name
3) select a placeholder via +/- button. ---> Placeholder gets placed exactly at the cusor position.
4) PROBLEM starts now: All further placeholder that I select get added at the *END* of the suggested folder name! Regardless where I position the cursor before.

Hubert
Confirmed.

And one more noted: Both TC x32 & x64 is affected. It's been this way at least since TC7.02a, earlier version didn't test.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is currently done for systems with double byte languages (set in control panel for non-Unicode programs). I will change it for NT-based systems.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dindog

Post by *dindog »

2ghisler(Author)
TC9.5b6 fixed it confirmed.