Need for Better Layout Management

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Need for Better Layout Management

Post by *JohnFredC »

One task I have is to browse a large number of XLS files that exist in several subfolders of one master folder. I use TC, QuickView, and the IE plugin to preview them.

Currently, to do this in TC I must:

1. Navigate to the master folder
2. Set my file filter to *.xls
3. Issue a [face=courier]cm_DirBranch[/face] to flatten the list.

When Tabs came to TC, I was all excited... thinking it would be possible to set up a tab such as the one I describe above, save it, then when I selected the tab, all the above steps would be applied to that tab (and that tab alone!).

Unfortunately, TC uses the same filter for all tabs on a panel and it forgets the [face=courier]cm_DirBranch[/face] as soon as I navigate away from the tab which has that setting.

In my opinion, TC should allow us to name and save ALL panel settings in an individual tab, including file masks, cm_DirBranch, panel split, column sorts, opposite panel location and setup (if we wish), and the like.

Further I would like the capability of choosing which settings to save and which to default.

There is so much (much!) more efficiency hiding in TC... if only we had more control over the interface, we could avoid all kinds of repetitive behaviors.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Need for Better Layout Management

Post by *djk »

JohnFredC wrote: In my opinion, TC should allow us to name and save ALL panel settings in an individual tab, including file masks, cm_DirBranch, panel split, column sorts, opposite panel location and setup (if we wish), and the like.
This is what I dream about, too.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl