Color dialog box has "Define Custom Colors" greyed out?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gunterotto

Color dialog box has "Define Custom Colors" greyed out?

Post by *gunterotto »

I am running 9.50 Beta 11, and I cannot keep any of my custom colors once I close the Color dialog box.
Also, any time I "Add to Custom Colors", it overwrites the color in the first box. I cannot, for example, save a color to the 2nd box.
Lastly, as the subject states, "Define Custom Colors" is greyed out. I suspect it's all related.
Nothing in the .ini file suggests I need to turn anything on, and the Color (selection) dialog box is not mentioned in Help.
User license #29286 (1993, v3.53, still have the floppy disk 😁)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Color dialog box has "Define Custom Colors" greyed out?

Post by *Usher »

You are talking about Windows "Colors" control called from TC, I suppose, so don't blame TC, please.
1. If you want to add any custom color, you should first select any _free_ cell for the custom color you'd like to define. It's not a spreadsheet, there is no automagic "fill-and-go-to-the next-cell" feature there.
1. As it's a Windows feature, you should have sufficient rights as a Windows user to save changes in Windows registry.
3. More info you can find in Windows Help.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
gunterotto

Post by *gunterotto »

Thanks for the quick response!
I suppose it does not work as intended because it has been deprecated and can no longer be accessed in Win10 without a registry hack (source: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-background-color-palette-24-choices). The new Personalization > Colors UI is much simpler.
I can get around my problem by being less creative for Dark Mode and simply choosing from the default colors provided by TC.
User license #29286 (1993, v3.53, still have the floppy disk 😁)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2gunterotto
Well, I tested only Windows XP and 7. Thanks for the info about poor Windows 10.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Actually the "Define Custom Colors >>" button is also disabled in my Windows 7 - that is because the button is used to EXPAND the dialog if it is opened in its basic state, where the color picker in the right side is not shown

But the "Add to Custom Colors" button works - but only for the same session of the opening window - that means that the added colors stays added while for example the "Configuration" -> "Color" dialog is open, or while the "Define colors by file type" dialog is open.

Maybe it is possible for Ghisler to enable saving of the custom colors: https://docs.microsoft.com/da-dk/windows/win32/dlgbox/color-dialog-box?redirectedfrom=MSDN#custom_template
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Actually saving multiple custom colors in the Color Picker is simple: Just add the same color multiple times, so the next time you add a different color, it will only overwrite the first of the previous one. That's how it always worked, at least since Win2k.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror