Win+C/F/V hotkeys don't work on Windows 7

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Win+C/F/V hotkeys don't work on Windows 7

Post by *Fla$her »

ТС (any version) on Windows 7 does not respond to Win+C, Win+F, Win+V hotkeys after binding any command to them.
The problem is missing for Win+C/V on Directory Opus, Listary, Zentimo xStorage Manager, USB Safely Remove.
Please correct it.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Win+C/F/V hotkeys don't work on Windows 7

Post by *petermad »

License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad
I know what hotkeys are on Win 7/10.
I pointed out specific and wrote a list of programs that have no problems with the C and V keys without a global binding any changes in the registry.
Win+F on Windows 7 also does nothing, although it is declared. But F is not as important to me as C and V.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It is hardly a bug, that TC respects the letters reserved by Microsoft for the Winkey.

You could ask for it as a feature in TC suggestions (English)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

How is this not a bug if it works on other programs, but not here? Check out the concept of hotkeys in these programs, then you will understand that you are wrong.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Obviously ghisler (Author) doesn't consider it a bug: viewtopic.php?p=363602#p363602

And the Help also mentions the limitation:
Hotkey: Define a hotkey here. Now also supports the Windows key if it hasn't been assigned to a system-wide function (like Win+E for the Explorer)

I don't say that it is not possible to make Win+C/V work, as you have proved with examples of other programs. I have programs myself that can assign Win+C/V.

But just because other programs have a certain feature, doesn't mean it is a bug if TC doesn't have it - It would be like writing that it is a bug that TC doesn't have and Undo function.

Don't misunderstand - I fully support it as a feature request!
Last edited by petermad on 2020-01-18, 22:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

In short words: It's not a bug, it's a (missing) feature.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2020-01-18, 21:52 UTCObviously ghisler (Author) doesn't consider it a bug:
He wrote the following:
ghisler(Author) wrote: Many WIN key combinations are handled by Windows before they get to the applications, so they cannot be reassigned.
Sorry, but Many don't mean Any.
petermad wrote: 2020-01-18, 21:52 UTCI don't say that it is not possible to make Win+C/V work, as you have proved with examples of other programs. I have programs myself that can assign Win+C/V.
There is a big difference between some programs (like AHK) and the listed ones. You will not be able in Listary and Zentimo xStorage Manager to assign Win+B/E/R etc. since they are busy. The last program will even point to this. Directory Opus has a global binding option, but it is not required for Win+C/V. So I think this is a mistake/deviation/omission, not a specificity of ТС.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There are two ways to handle hotkeys:
1. Within a program: That's what Total Commander currently does. The hotkeys only work when they aren't defined system-wide in some other program.
2. System-wide: In this case, a hotkey defined in one program cannot be used in any other programs. For example, many hotkeys with the Win key are defined system-wide by the Explorer/Desktop. They are intercepted before TC can see them.

I don't want to define Total Commander hotkeys system-wide, because then they would become unusable in other programs like Word. Defining hotkeys system-wide only makes sense for commands which need to be used when in any program like Win+P to switch to a different screen.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
No one asks you to make these hotkeys global. I repeat: Directory Opus perfectly copes with Win+C/V without global binding. I would not have raised the issue if it was about a global binding.
If in Directory Opus doesn't checked the global binding checkbox, the corresponding letter B/E/R/L etc. for WinKey will not appear in the field. But this doesn't apply to Win+C/V.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have tried to add support for Win+C, but it's not so easy:
1. I do not get a WM_KEYDOWN or WM_SYSKEYDOWN message for Win+C. I do get one for Win key alone, and also fir CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+C, though.
2. I cannot even call RegisterHotKey for Win+C to register it system-wide, it returns an error
3. The only way to see Win+C is to set a system-wide keyboard hook of type WH_KEYBOARD_LL. Some virus scanners may show an alarm about a keylogger.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
Are you checking this precisely on Windows 7?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tested it on Windows 10. Windows 7 is slightly different:
1. Same behaviour as Windows 10 in the WM_KEYDOWN messages
2. I can call RegisterHotkey, but it works system-wide (Win+C in any program sends it to TC)
3. Same as Windows 10.