History thinning - why not for Alt-Left?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

History thinning - why not for Alt-Left?

Post by *Hacker »

Hi,
I was thinking the thinning did not work for me when I found this in history.txt:
16.10.19 Release Total Commander 9.50 beta 1
14.07.19 Added: Directory history thinning: Keep normal history (Alt+Left/Right arrow) unchanged, only apply to history menu (Alt+Down arrow) (32/64)
What is the reasoning behind not applying history thinning to Alt-Left? Would it be considered too confusing?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: History thinning - why not for Alt-Left?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When I first implemented thinning, I only kept the "important" directories in the history. This turned out to be unusable in every day work. For example, when you went one directory too far up, you couldn't simply return to the previous directory because it wasn't in the list. Therefore I limit the thinning to the history list now, and still allow to view the entire list with Alt+Shift+Cursor down.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Re: History thinning - why not for Alt-Left?

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Well, maybe you are right. Difficult to have an opinion without trying :D

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.