[TC 9.50] Can no longer traverse through ZIP container file with subdirectories

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

affie42

[TC 9.50] Can no longer traverse through ZIP container file with subdirectories

Post by *affie42 »

[TC 9.50] Can no longer traverse through ZIP container file with subdirectories:

with older versions of TC, i was able to simply traverse through a ZIP container file through all subdirectories and see and operate what is in it by pressing the ENTER key.
with V9.5 i can no longer do this.
i can look into the ZIP file and see its files and subdirectories of the first level.
however, i can no longer traverse into any subdirectories by pressing ENTER again.
when i press ENTER again, the ICON representing the sub directory changes into a folder icon with a green arrow - and that s it.
i cannot descend into this folder and access files or other sub directories in it.

nevertheless, <CTRL><b> still works in the ZIP container, so as a work around i can flatten the directory structure and list all files in the container and scroll through them this way... but a navigation using the folder hierarchy is would be more convenient.

for me, this is a significant error because inspecting ZIP files and walking through them is a common and frequent task for me.
(also, this is the very first time i stumbled across a regression error likes this one since Windows Commander V2!!! So, after all, a fabulous work and level of quality that you have been providing with this excellent tool over all those years!!!)

Regards,
Affie
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 9.50] Can no longer traverse through ZIP container file with subdirectories

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please provide a sample ZIP where this happens. I cannot reproduce this here with all ZIP files I tried.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
affie42

Re: [TC 9.50] Can no longer traverse through ZIP container file with subdirectories

Post by *affie42 »

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have created a simple ZIP file for you.
Where can i upload it? (Or did i miss the "upload" button...?)

The ZIP file has been created by my own tool written in JAVA using the JAVA 18 ZIP runtime library. This tool has been running for years and not been changed recently, as the JAVA RT hasnt been changed. ZIPs created by this tool always worked fine with the TC until the latest version.
The ZIP is not encrypted/password protected.

Regards,
Affie
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please send it as an attachment to support at ghisler dot com if it is smaller than 2MB.

Total Commander 9.50 uses an optimzed way to read archives (not just ZIP), which is much faster for large archives. Apparently it has problems with some of the data in your archives. I will check it once I have a sample.
affie42

Post by *affie42 »

File has been sent.

Thanks for your support!!!

Regards,
Affie
affie42

Post by *affie42 »

The reason lied within the ZIP container that was created by my own tool using JAVA code:

My ZIP contains full paths including drive letter, e.g.
d:\PROJECTS\MYTOOLS\TEST\BACKUP\t1\.dotfile_with_extension.txt
instead of just
PROJECTS\MYTOOLS\TEST\BACKUP\t1\.dotfile_with_extension.txt
The quick read code in TC sees this as an extra directory, so it never shows the contents of "PROJECTS" because it mismatches "d:".

In the meantime CG provided a fix for that and i tested it successfully.
So issue solved!!!

Thanks again for your support!!!

Regards,
Affie
glipman

Post by *glipman »

For the record: I have a ZIP file created with 7za.exe (from 7Zip) that also holds files including the driveletter in the path.
I cannot open the files in them with version 9.50 but have no problem with older versions.
Therefore the problem is not just with the 'JAVA tool' but the solution is probably the same.

Looking forward to 9.50a :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2glipman
Could you please try the release candidate?
https://www.ghisler.com/950a_beta.htm
glipman

Post by *glipman »

Excellent, the beta solves any problem I was having.