TC-64bit: Misaligned controls in File > Change attributes

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

TC-64bit: Misaligned controls in File > Change attributes

Post by *StatusQuo »

TC 64bit, classic theme: The caption "Change attributes" is partly covered by the controls below it. (No big deal, it's still readable.)
In TC 32bit the dialog is fine.
Screenshot

Using Aero theme the controls are still close to the top, but the header line is not covered:
Screenshot

TC 8.00 x64 up to current 9.51 RC2.
Win7 x64, classic theme. Looks better in Aero theme.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC-64bit: Misaligned controls in File > Change attributes

Post by *Usher »

There may be more differences visible:
Can you show screenshots with classic theme made for the left pane?
What about Tahoma or Segoe UI fonts? It looks like Microsoft Sans Serif on your screenshots.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

On your screenshots for the Aero theme, the red close button in the upper right corner is not placed as it usually is in Windows 7 Aero theme ( see https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/attributes64-32.png ) - it looks like you are using a non-standard version of the theme.

Also you are not using the standard font for TC's dialogs (Microsoft Sans Serif, 8) - that will always give a risk of dialog texts that doesn't fit.
Last edited by petermad on 2020-02-22, 22:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2petermad
StatusQuo is clearly using Windows Aero Basic (which is also using much finer/thinner window borders) while you're using Windows Aero.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Usher
It looks like Microsoft Sans Serif on your screenshots
I don't think so - see https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/attributes64-32.png which is using Microsoft Sans Serif,8), which is TC's default font for dialogs.
Last edited by petermad on 2020-02-22, 23:04 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Dalai
StatusQuo is clearly using Windows Aero Basic
Well, it does look like: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/attributes-winbasic.png (here with Microsoft Sans Sefif, 9) - which in my Windows 7 is called: "Windows 7 Basic" and is listed under: "Basic and High Contrast Themes" - I am not sure that qualifies as being an Aero theme, which are listed under "Aero Themes"...

But now that got into checking themes - I can confirm StatusQuo's clipping of text with Classic theme and Microsoft Sans Serif, 9: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/attributes-classic9pt.png
License #524 (1994)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

petermad wrote: 2020-02-22, 22:40 UTC[...] which in my Windows 7 is called: "Windows 7 Basic"
Yes, that's what I meant.
I am not sure that qualifies as being an Aero theme, which are listed under "Aero Themes"...
I'm not sure either, but in the end it doesn't matter. I just wanted to make clear what theme it is, and it's not some modified or unsupported theme, but one that Windows is already shipped with.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Usher wrote:Can you show screenshots with classic theme made for the left pane?
Screenshot, including font settings.
Left is normal configuration, right with clean INI. Both overlap the caption/title.
petermad wrote:the red close button in the upper right corner is not placed as it usually is in Windows 7 Aero theme
Dalai wrote:StatusQuo is clearly using Windows Aero Basic (which is also using much finer/thinner window borders) while you're using Windows Aero.
petermad wrote:"Windows 7 Basic" and is listed under: "Basic and High Contrast Themes"
No. I normally don't use Aero, so I took the first from the list that sounded like standard. The group title is called "Aero Designs", the theme itself "Windows 7". It's not the "Windows-7-Basic" from the separate group ("Basic and High Contrast Themes").
I added a third Screenshot with Windows-7-Basic theme for comparison - but can't tell a real difference between them.
If it matters: This is running on a virtual machine without network connection and no regular online updates, used only for testing.
petermad wrote:Also you are not using the standard font for TC's dialogs (Microsoft Sans Serif, 8) - that will always give a risk of dialog texts that doesn't fit.
I do (according to TC's configuration), but it's font size 9 in my normal config. With a clean INI it's font size 8 - both are cut in this dialog.
Generally I don't tweak much with fonts. After some short tests with big font setting in Windows over 20 years ago I quickly went back to standard settings. The TC font configuration was set up and tested about the same time, obviously font size 9 was the biggest that didn't collide anywhere.
Dalai wrote:I just wanted to make clear what theme it is, and it's not some modified or unsupported theme, but one that Windows is already shipped with.
Yes, that's the case.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2StatusQuo
If you're running on a machine that doesn't support 3D acceleration (like a VM), the Windows Aero theme will fall back to the same visual appearance as the "Windows 7 Basic" theme. Meaning that although you might not use the latter, in reality you are (hence you can't tell any difference because there is none).

Oh, and in regards to fonts: The fonts set in the system are relevant, not those in TC.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2StatusQuo
I took the first from the list that sounded like standard. The group title is called "Aero Designs", the theme itself "Windows 7". It's not the "Windows-7-Basic" from the separate group ("Basic and High Contrast Themes").
I added a third Screenshot with Windows-7-Basic theme for comparison - but can't tell a real difference between them.

I noticed yesterday, that there is a glitch or bug in that Windows dialog (at least in my Windows 7) causing that the theme I click on is sometimes not fully implemented, or another theme is opened. Maybe that happened to you, because to me the theme in all 3 screenshots in https://ibb.co/PTpTrjQ certainly looks the same to me.
License #524 (1994)
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

New screenshots, now with full Aero (but still only in classic theme the header line is cut).

2Dalai
running on a machine that doesn't support 3D acceleration (like a VM)
Indeed, missing "full" 3D support prevented full Aero theme. Now I changed the driver to the "experimental" one for full Aero support, that seems to work.
The fonts set in the system are relevant, not those in TC.
Those should be on standard setting. Anyway, changing TC from size 9 to standard size 8 the line looks still incomplete, but a little better.

2petermad
After switching I thought to see another layout for half a second (so I switched multiple times to check). I guess the OS decides on the fly if full Aero is allowed or not. And it doesn't give any feedback. At least there are more bells and whistles now after changing the driver. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, I will move the checkboxes a bit down in the attributes dialog. The problem is that Lazarus calculates the top in a group box differently from Delphi.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm that there is no longer clipping of the text "Change attributes" with Classic theme and Microsoft Sans Serif, 9 in TC 9.51 rc3 64bit :-)
License #524 (1994)
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Confirm fixed in TC 9.51 RC3.