Suggestion: Ability to split archive in multiple files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Deenayd

Suggestion: Ability to split archive in multiple files

Post by *Deenayd »

Hello,

As far as I see it's currently possible to split archive to multiple volumes when writing to diskette or so.

I'd say it would also be useful to split archive in parts of given size even when writing to HDD.

This would allow creating archives to be copied to CD-R (set 700 MB per file)

This would allow creating ZIP archives larger then 2 GB (just split them in 1 GB files or so).

Please point me in corrent direction if this option is already available in totalcmd. I couldn't find it.
Sławek Piotrowski
Leif

Post by *Leif »

Use one of the available sizes or set your preferred size. It's not just for writing to diskette. It only gives some common sizes for common drives, that's all. Try it!
Deenayd

Post by *Deenayd »

Leif wrote:Use one of the available sizes or set your preferred size. It's not just for writing to diskette. It only gives some common sizes for common drives, that's all. Try it!
I'm sorry but I can't find where to enable any selection.

I can only see a check box called "Multiple disk archive (ZIP, ARJ, RAR, ACE)".

If I select it while compressing to another HDD folder I've got following message: "You can only pack multi-voule ZIP files to removable disks!"

(using Total Commander 6.03a)
Sławek Piotrowski
Clo

Split

Post by *Clo »

2Deenayd
:) Hello !
- You can split an archive like any file; no need to use the multi-volume function, rather annoying.
- Create the archive, then split it into n… parts from the "Files" Menu >> Split file. In the "Split" dialog, you can define any size for the parts.
- In anyway, the original archive can't exceed the maximal allowed file-size.

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Calude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Deenayd

Re: Split

Post by *Deenayd »

Clo wrote:2Deenayd
- You can split an archive like any file; no need to use the multi-volume function, rather annoying.
- Create the archive, then split it into n… parts from the "Files" Menu >> Split file. In the "Split" dialog, you can define any size for the parts.
Yes, I'm already using this.
Clo wrote:- In anyway, the original archive can't exceed the maximal allowed file-size.
That's why I thought about multi-volume archives.

1) I don't know ZIP format enough to be sure about it, but given that in multi volume ZIP files the first volume is *not* enough to view total archive's contents I suppose each volume contains only the directory of it's own files.

2) The 2 GB archive limitation doesn't forbid me from creating larger archives, just no file can start above 2 GB marker. I expect that this means that 2 GB problem is taken from archive's directory which cannot hold informations that some file starts above 2 GB from start of the archive.

3) From two above points I expect that the ability to create multi volume archives should fix the problem.

4) I'm not going to check this using floppy disks for multi-volume archive :) but I might eventually play with USB memory stick, just to check it.
Sławek Piotrowski
Clo

BIG "diskette" !

Post by *Clo »

2Deenayd
:) Hi again !
4) I'm not going to check this using floppy disks for multi-volume archive but I might eventually play with USB memory stick, just to check it.
- That works, I tested this once; but TC'll ask for the next "diskette", 'cause it doesn't know USB-stick in that dialog. :lol:
:wink:  Please, let's know what you get in these tests.

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Deenayd wrote:
Leif wrote:Use one of the available sizes or set your preferred size. It's not just for writing to diskette. It only gives some common sizes for common drives, that's all. Try it!
I'm sorry but I can't find where to enable any selection.

I can only see a check box called "Multiple disk archive (ZIP, ARJ, RAR, ACE)".

If I select it while compressing to another HDD folder I've got following message: "You can only pack multi-voule ZIP files to removable disks!"

(using Total Commander 6.03a)
You should use an external packer and then you could pass the approppriate switch in the dialog.

For ARJ you would have to add '-v700000000' or you could use 'k' and 'm' for Kilobyte/megabytes as well so '-v700m' would create a file with not more than 700.000.000 bytes.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams