Very strange problem since SP2

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DKilleen

Very strange problem since SP2

Post by *DKilleen »

Hi

Since installing SP2, I'm having a very strange problem. It makes no sense, but since it's duplicated on 2 separate machines I have to believe it. A little background first.

I use a Kensington Expert Mouse Pro on both machines. This is a trackball with 6 quicklaunch buttons across the top. You can map these buttons to open programs, web pages etc. On both machines, I have one button setup to open Total Commander. To do this I use this command line:

"D:\Program Files\wincmd\TOTALCMD.EXE" c:\ d:\temp

Since installing SP2, anytime I push the button for Total Commander, the Kensington software that controls the buttons either crashes with a "report to Microsoft" box, or it simply quits working. When that happens none of the quicklaunch buttons work. I've written to Kensington about it, but thier response is that since any other program starts ok, it's not thier problem. They could be right. I dont' know.

What I've discovered is that if I map the Total Commander button to point to a batch file, Total Commander will open, and the Kensington software is fine. No crashes. The batch file has 2 lines. One simply contains the command line shown above, and the second line has the command "exit" (without the "). I inserted the exit command because while the batch file opens Total Commander, it also leaves the CMD window open. I thought that the exit command would close the window after the batch file ran, and Total Commander was running. But this doesn't happen. The CMD window stays open until I exit Total Commander. This is ok unless I just want to minimize Total Commander. In this case, the CMD window is left open on my desktop.

My real question is:

What do I have to do to the batch file so that the CMD window closes after Total Commander is running?

Thanks

David Killeen
DKilleen
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

2DKilleen
What do I have to do to the batch file so that the CMD window closes after Total Commander is running?
"D:\Program Files\wincmd\TOTALCMD.EXE" c:\ d:\temp
change to

Code: Select all

@start "D:\Program Files\wincmd\TOTALCMD.EXE" c:\ d:\temp 
and delete "exit" line. :D
DKilleen

Post by *DKilleen »

Nope, that didn't work. All that did was open the root of C: in a Windows Explorer window. Didn't start Total Commander at all.

Thanks

David
DKilleen
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

Nope, that didn't work
Sorry, my fault. :( I love M$ for introducing "spaces" in file/directories names :twisted:.

change it to

Code: Select all

@start /D"D:\Program Files\wincmd" TOTALCMD.EXE c:\ d:\temp 
This should work. :D
DKilleen

Post by *DKilleen »

That did work. Thank you very much. Believe it or not at one time I was able to work with batch files. Been many, many years though.

Thanks again

David Killeen
DKilleen
Opt00r

Post by *Opt00r »

Why not make a simple shortcut to totcmd.exe, including those two parameters? I think it's faster than running cmd first.
DKilleen

Post by *DKilleen »

Opt00r

That's what I've been using for years. The installation of SP2 broke this somehow.

David
DKilleen
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

DKilleen wrote:Opt00r

That's what I've been using for years. The installation of SP2 broke this somehow.

David
You could try to use the unpacked version of TC.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
DKilleen

Post by *DKilleen »

You could try to use the unpacked version of TC.

sheepdog[/quote]

What's the unpacked version?
DKilleen
Clo

For hard cases---

Post by *Clo »

2DKilleen
:) Hello !
- The file <Totalcmd.exe> is released compressed as UPX-system.
* A not-packed version exists, to be tried in some ticklish cases like here. You could get it from HERE
* Indeed, its size is bigger : ~2MB instead 740 KB for the normal UPX-packed version.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials