Strange blue screen issue with TC 6.03a

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Nomadin

Strange blue screen issue with TC 6.03a

Post by *Nomadin »

I am having a strange issue when I try to change directory using the directory menu (ctrl-d). It successfully changes to the directory if it is local, but a change to a mapped network drive causes a nasty blue screen and immediate reboot.

I can change to the drive via ctrl-F1 and select the drive. I can change to the drive in a DOS prompt. I can also successfully change to the network volume from the TC command line by using the cd "path:\" command. Other programs are not displaying this behaviour.

I am running Windows XP SP2.

I am not sure what to check, so any ideas will be appreciated.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you use a background virus scanner? It seems that some are not compatible with XP SP2 yet, and may cause such crashes when a program tries to access a network drive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Nomadin

Post by *Nomadin »

Yes, we use OfficeScan. Trend indicates at their site that version 5.58 is compatible with SP2, but it seems like a very reasonable theory. Strange thing is that I have had RC1 of SP2 on the machine for a long time with no trouble. I also updated to the final version of SP2 on the first day that the download was available from Microsoft's IT download site and the problem did not show up until yesterday. The one change that I did make that may have contributed to the problem is that I was running in classic shell and I went back to the Windows XP shell. That seems to correlate with the crashes.

Thanks for the info. There is an update to OfficeScan that I will give a try.
Nomadin

Post by *Nomadin »

Issue is confirmed... If I disable real-time protection with the current version of Trend Micro's Office Scan, the blue screen/reboot goes away.

Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Could you report the error to Trend Micro? A blue screen is quite a serious error...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Nomadin

Post by *Nomadin »

I will, but I guess that I should clarify. My post indicated that it was the current version, but I meant MY current version. I have still not applied OfficeScan 6.5 since we are in a corporate, managed environment. We still have some testing to do before we roll it out.

Once I confirm that even the current version (6.5) still has the problem, I will report it.