Overwrite option "Ask user" in copy/move dialogs cannot be saved

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DjobyDjoba

Overwrite option "Ask user" in copy/move dialogs cannot be saved

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

This is strange, in my TC (9.51) I can't save the Overwrite option state "1. Ask User" in the Copy/Move dialog anymore.

All the other options can be saved (2 to 8 ), but I can't save the "1. Ask User", this is not taken into account. (the "2. Overwrite all" is activated instead).

In the screenshot below, I have saved successfully the option #3 (Skip all), but you can see that If I try to save the option #1 "Ask User" the option "Overwrite all" is by default the next time.

https://i.ibb.co/1qh0Dpy/Ask-User-Option-Not-Saved.gif

Any idea of what could cause this in my setup?
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Overwrite option "Ask user" in copy/move dialogs cannot be saved

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

I cannot reproduce. Neither with the 64-bit nor the 32-bit version of TC 9.51.
I am running Win7 x64 Pro (from your screenshot it looks like you too run Win7).

However, i use English language.

What happens if you switch TC to English language and try again? Will you see the problem still happening when TC's language is set to English?
If it still happens with English language, start TC with a fresh default INI file and see if the problem still occurs with a fresh INI file.
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Thanks. The issue is the same when the language is changed to English.

If I reinit the wincmd.ini, I can now save the "1. Ask User". (but I can't imaging having to start from scratch with a new configuration, my TC is quite customized...)

And even in this case, another little bug remains: saving "1. Ask User" unpins the Advanced Options panel, I have to pin it again. Not a big deal, but this is not the case with the other options 2 -> 8.
(the unpin little bug can be seen too in the animated gif screenshot I have post above).

I'm quite sure this bug is linked to the upgrade 9.50 final -> 9.51 final and that was working fine before, because not asking to overwrite a file is a new behavior (and, for me, unwanted).
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

In the wincmd.ini the setting in question seems to be CopyOverwriteDefault=
with a value from 1 to 8.

If I save in TC an overwrite option between 2 -> 8, the settings appears correctly in the wincmd.ini. For example:
CopyOverwriteDefault=2

Now if I save in TC the option 1 "Ask User", the CopyOverwriteDefault= setting (= line) disappears from the wincmd.ini!

If I close TC, force the CopyOverwriteDefault=1 in the wincmd.ini and reopen TC, the overwrite option in TC is "2. Overwrite all"...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

another little bug remains: saving "1. Ask User" unpins the Advanced Options panel, I have to pin it again.
I can confirm this part. So this I consider as a bug

But I can easily save the option "1. Ask User" via the GUI - so that part i can NOT confirm.

Now if I save in TC the option 1 "Ask User", the CopyOverwriteDefault= setting (= line) disappears from the wincmd.ini!
The same here, but that is common with TC for many options - that they get removed if their default setting is chosen.
And if I open the copy dialog again option 1 "Ask User" is shown as it should be - also after restart of TC.

You should check whether you have 2 entries for CopyOverwriteDefault= in your wincmd.ini file, and also check if you should have two [Configuration] sections - that happens for people from time to time.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Thanks.
petermad wrote:You should check whether you have 2 entries for CopyOverwriteDefault= in your wincmd.ini file, and also check if you should have two [Configuration] sections
Checked and it is fine, no double entries or sections.

Will do more tests to find what can cause this.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Would you like to share your INI file here?
(If you choose to post it here, you might first want to go through it and remove all information you don't want to be revealed in public)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

CopyOverwriteDefault=1 is the default when there is no CopyOverwriteDefault entry (the user will be asked). So there is no need to save CopyOverwriteDefault=1 to the wincmd.ini.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)

No, but saving "1. Ask User" in the GUI should NOT unpin the Advanced options!
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

elgonzo wrote:Would you like to share your INI file here?
Good idea, here it is: https://filebin.net/archive/bluqkgvwmcgip0a0/zip?t=q12g6yhg

(don't be afraid with the .zip filename, generated by the Filebin web service I've used).

I was able to reproduce the issue with this wincmd.ini file on a fresh TC install in a virtual machine.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Just a quick update:

With the INI file from DjobyDjoba, i can now reproduce the issue as well. I have not taken a closer look into the INI file yet, so as of now i can't tell exactly what part of the INI file causes this...
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

It seems the cause of the issue are two conflicting configuration settings for telling TC to ask before overwriting files. One setting is CopyOverwriteDefault, and the other is OverwriteFiles in INI section "[Confirmation]".

DjobyDjoba's INI file has "OverwriteFiles=0". Changing this setting to "OverwriteFiles=1" makes TC behave as expected. This setting can also be enabled in TC's configuration dialog --> "Misc." pane --> ("Get confirmation before...") "Overwriting files" checkbox.

I don't know what the intended user experience should be with regard to the interaction between these two configuration settings, but the current behavior is rather confusing.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2elgonzo
I can confirm that if I disable "Configuration" -> "Options..." > "Misc." -> "Get confirmation before" -> "Overwriting files" then I also cannot save the option "1. Ask user" in the "Advanced options" of the Copy dialog.

Maybe not a bug as such, but a peculiar interaction of setting parameters at the least.
License #524 (1994)
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Thanks both of you for your help! I remember now I had changed the option in "Configuration" -> "Options..." > "Misc." -> "Get confirmation before" -> "Overwriting files".

elgonzo wrote:the current behavior is rather confusing.
I agree. The two settings CopyOverwriteDefault and OverwriteFiles seem, for a part, quite redundant and conflicting.
ppacter

Post by *ppacter »

This discussion has solved a related small problem for me. My setting of Configuration > Options > Misc > Get Confirmation Before Overwriting files always worked properly when copying a file from one drive to another but did not work when copying a file from within a ZIP to a file on a drive. TC overwrote the target file with the source file without asking.

After reading this discussion, I looked in my wincmd.ini and found:
UnZIPOverwrite=1

After changing 1 to 0, TC now asks for confirmation before overwriting.

I solved my problem. Thank you all. Out of curiosity I went through TC’s Configuration > Options to find whether I might have set this without having to edit wincmd.ini. So far, cannot find where.