Search questions: folders contain file(s) of particular extension

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

GrimReaper85

Search questions: folders contain file(s) of particular extension

Post by *GrimReaper85 »

I would like:

1. to search if folders contain two files of particular extension
Reason is I might have dupe text files. And apart from different names, they can also have different size due to CRLF/LF EOL, so dupe check is no good here.

2. to search if folders contain just file(s) of particular extension
Reason is I might have folders that have just text file(s), but are missing RAR/ZIP. And also the other way around.
That means I could search:
a. if folders contain just text files of particular extension (I have 3 possible extensions, I can do one by one or all at once) and nothing else
b. if folders don't contain RAR (have to take care of .001) or ZIP
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Search questions: folders contain file(s) of particular extension

Post by *Dalai »

As was already posted in the other thread, the plugin FileInDir is suitable for such a task.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
GrimReaper85

Post by *GrimReaper85 »

Why can't any of these plugins have good instructions.
I know how to install plugins and where to look for them, ALT+F7 in this case. But it will take me some time to figure out how to use them.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Most of the plugins contain some kind of instructions on how to use them. This particular plugin ships a Readme.txt that describes its usage.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
GrimReaper85

Post by *GrimReaper85 »

I read that yesterday, but nothing made sense to me. Now I took time to read it carefully.

2.a. and 2.b. I know how to do now. It's just that I have to search 3 times as I have 3 types of text files and 3 types of archive files. And it seems you can't combine AND and OR, just one or the other. But that is fine, still a million times faster than going manually folder by folder.

Though I see now I can get the same thing if I just use Plugin: tc, Property: ext, OP: contains and !contains
EDIT: That is not true, with this you get just files in Listbox, but FileInDir gives you folders which is exactly what I want.

1. I can't do as this plugin doesn't have the option to search for file number. I guess I need another plugin.
I also tried in Advance -> Find duplicate files -> same plugin fields, but this got me nowhere.
Last edited by GrimReaper85 on 2020-07-01, 14:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

GrimReaper85 wrote: 2020-07-01, 08:41 UTC Why can't any of these plugins have good instructions.
I know how to install plugins and where to look for them, ALT+F7 in this case. But it will take me some time to figure out how to use them.
In both FileInDir and emptywdx you have a readme.txt file which explain simple use of the plugin, you also have some more information if you use search in TC Forum..
for FileInDir sample read the thread.
for emptywdx you can also give a look to WDXContains which is the ancestor ...

If you want more, help yourself ! both plugin are distributed with code and the rights to use it....
GrimReaper85

Post by *GrimReaper85 »

Solved also this now:
1. to search if folders contain two files of particular extension

My solution (not ideal as you still have to look with your eyes instead of just having search results, but better than going through one by one):
1. Install DirSizeCalc, look for 3.1.4 here:
http://lefteous.totalcmd.net/tc/docs/dirsizecalc/readme.htm#use_cases_automatic_calculation
2. Copy all files with wanted extension to a temporary folder.
3. In Thumbnail view check for all that show 2 or more files.

EDIT:
It's actually still pretty bad, would be nice if I could export file count for each folder to a list.

EDIT2:
Actually solved it now, but it only worked for my case as I already had files with correct folders and names, I just had to fix mine. So I copied mine over those, searched by date (correct ones and mine had a different date, all on one day) and used TreeCopyPlus.