Any way to browse LAN photos?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

commodore

Any way to browse LAN photos?

Post by *commodore »

Back to Android after a while, and of course Total Commander along with the LAN plugin is one of the first things to install. :) My question now is - is there any way to "browse" photos on a LAN share? That is, not having to open each photo separately, but rather see all thumbnails in a folder.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any way to browse LAN photos?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, unfortunately not - Total Commander would have to download all the photos just to display a preview. While this would be OK on a local network, it would cause a lot of traffic via a mobile VPN connection...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
grewi

Post by *grewi »

Hi, möchte das Thema noch Mal ansprechen.
Ich glaube es geht um das "Weiterblättern" in der BetrachterApp in einem Lan-Fotoverzeichnis.
Das geht einfach nicht. Jedes Bild muss einzeln angewählt werden und jedes Mal kommt die Abfrage "Herunterladen + Öffnen".
Das ist z.B. zum schnellen "Durchsehen" von Webcam-Aufnahmen ungeeignet.
Leider muss ich dafür immer noch auf X-plore ausweichen.
Diese Funktionalität wäre sehr wünschenswert.
Gruß Grewi
Perfektion ist nicht dann erreicht, wenn es Nichts mehr hinzuzufügen gibt,
sondern wenn man Nichts mehr weglassen kann.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leider ginge das nur mit einem in Total Commander eingebauten Bildbetrachter. Bei xplore geht es auch nur mit dessem eigenen Betrachter.
william20

Post by *william20 »

If you have a home server set up, it should seem like accessing files on that server should be simple. There is a little bit of a quirk here, in that the iPad is not natively equipped for accessing resources on a local network.

Edit by moderator

Unrelated or nonsense post, often with copied text from above or from elsewhere >> User banned
This above text was copied from: https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-network-files-from-ipad/

Please help us and report such posts (see the [!] button) if you find them on browsing the forum, thanks.

[MTAG]
Tippfehler

Post by *Tippfehler »

I guess what william20 could have meant to say was: no worries about data charges on your local LAN (but of course, SMB works over VPN, too...) - so why not?

From a non-technical point of view it looks like TC would only have to "read" these files to generate thumbnails, not "download" them (which is essentially the same)...
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Tippfehler
DO NOT talk to spammers, please. Follow the moderator suggestions, otherwise your messages may be also moderated.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
commodore

Post by *commodore »

What's the alternative for browsing photos on a (local, LAN) computer/drive from an Android device then? X-plore?

On iOS devices, I can do this with FileBrowser and FileHub. They display thumbnails "on the go" - I guess it only downloads photos for the thumbnails that are currently in view. It takes a second when you scroll on to display the next set, but better than nothing.
tobbes76

Post by *tobbes76 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-08-26, 13:17 UTC No, unfortunately not - Total Commander would have to download all the photos just to display a preview. While this would be OK on a local network, it would cause a lot of traffic via a mobile VPN connection...
Hi,

I really would like to have this feature. :-)

If it's ok on a local network, so you could either add an option to enable it per share or have a setting (like other apps) to only enable download when connected to LAN.
Additionally, AFAIK, most image formats contain a small sized preivew of the image, to speed up image browsers showing a preview picture, so you don't have to download the whole file.

BR
tobbes76
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

tobbes76 wrote: 2020-07-17, 08:34 UTC most image formats contain a small sized preivew of the image, to speed up image browsers showing a preview picture, so you don't have to download the whole file.
Wrong. Some formats allow adding preview, but many images don't contain it. What is more, some image viewers have problems with incomplete pictures. For example, Explorer view used by default in TC in most cases may display blank in such cases.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I could add it just for JPG files - here I could do the parsing myself and extract just the preview image, and only if it's stored near the start of the file. Would this help?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-07-20, 07:42 UTCI could add it just for JPG files
That would be nice.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-07-20, 07:42 UTConly if it's stored near the start of the file.
Sure. Some large files contain megabytes of Photoshop actions and a small image after those xml metadata.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
tobbes76

Post by *tobbes76 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-07-20, 07:42 UTC I could add it just for JPG files - here I could do the parsing myself and extract just the preview image, and only if it's stored near the start of the file. Would this help?
Sure. :-)
Thanks for considering.

I'm wondering if there isn't a free image library that already provides parsing arbitrary images.

But still, I think the LAN plugin is mostly used to view files in the local network, and therefore I don't see a problem downloading whole files, in case they don't contain a preview image.