[SOLVED] How to change main icon of Total Commander?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tomek

[SOLVED] How to change main icon of Total Commander?

Post by *tomek »

Total Commander has a lot of possibilities to change its appearance.
In addition to the toolbar icons, I would like to change the icon on the title bar (upper left corner of the program).

How to do it?
Last edited by tomek on 2020-08-04, 15:57 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to change main icon of Total Commander?

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

You would have to use some 3rd-party program to patch the Total Commander executable(s). Those kind of programs are usually called "resource editors" or similar (as in, editing the resources inside a PE binary, such as the program icon, for example). I haven't used such programs myself since a long long time, thus i cannot recommend a good current one. Google for some and try them would be my suggestion (and while you are googling, you might perhaps also google for some tutorial or step-by-step instructions for how to change program icons with the resource editor of your choice)

(By the way, while TC has full control over what is inside its program window, it doesn't really have much control over the program icon. While the window frame and titlebar can be configured in some way, particularly the program icon is handled by Windows itself without giving a program much choice over it. Windows will just look up the respective resource in the executable file and display it. There is not much TC can do about it, aside from not using the Windows-provided window frame and titlebar, and completely reskin those. The chances of such an implementation happening in the future is probably slim to none because of what i would consider a rather unfavourable cost-risk-benefit ratio.)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Patching TC's EXE files will probably cause it to complain about that, thinking it would have been infected by a virus. So I recommend to not do that.

Using a different icon library (IconLib setting in wincmd.ini) might work, but I'm not sure if that's applied to the main icon.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm that if you use an iconlib with a replaced first icon, the that icon is used by Windows in titlebar, alt-tab menu, process line etc.

2tomek
Do you have an icon you want to use, thne i will make the iconlib for you
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
tomek

Post by *tomek »

I tried Resource hacker, and after changing exe Total Commender noticed exe is modified and made Msgbox with warning and ending
@petermad: I've found some "flat_FileIcons 1.0.0" iconlib and it really changing main icon in titlebar. It is great
I want to try make iconlib by my self. How to do it?

I found now also setiing IconLibDir=%COOMANDER_PaTH%\Icons
Will this also do the trick? Maybe it will be easier?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can make an icl file with the ICLView plugin - https://totalcmd.net/plugring/iclview.html
I found now also setiing IconLibDir=%COOMANDER_PaTH%\Icons
You are close, except for the typos - it would be something like:
IconLib=%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd.icl

You only need to have 1 icon in the icl.file
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Dalai wrote: 2020-08-01, 19:16 UTC Patching TC's EXE files will probably cause it to complain about that, thinking it would have been infected by a virus. So I recommend to not do that.
tomek wrote: 2020-08-01, 20:15 UTC I tried Resource hacker, and after changing exe Total Commender noticed exe is modified and made Msgbox with warning and ending
Oh dang! I am sorry for my bad and utterly useless advice. :oops:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Here are some examples of iconlibs to change TC's program icon: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/iconlibs.zip

BTW - you have to disable the option: "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Icons" -> "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer" - to make it work
License #524 (1994)
tomek

Post by *tomek »

[SOLVED]

I tried to use ICLView plugin, but although it is good for viewing, editing is very hard.
I used Greenfish Icon Editor Pro (freeware) to make ICL file with one icon

In wincmd.ini I wrote:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
IconLib=%COMMANDER_PATH%\new_icon.icl
After restart Total Commander had the new icon.

Thank you all for your help :)