Wifi transfer from phone to another throught HotSpot

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TimoA

Wifi transfer from phone to another throught HotSpot

Post by *TimoA »

Hello! When I have two Android phones, (p1 and p2), and p1 has data connection active and the HotSpot active, and p2 is connected to that HotSpot on p1. Then files transfer perfectly from p1 to p2 using WiFi transfer, simply by using the QR code.

But when I try in the same setup, transfer files from p2 to p1 then the camera of p1 seems to read the QR properly, then quits out, no 'transfer' notification is shown, and the display immediately shows the main screen of TotalCommander, with no files in the Wifi Transfer section. The sender dialog on p2 still show the same QR page. I also tried by copying the path from the QR page of p2 to WiFi Transfer in p1 but it did not help either.

When I connect both p1 and p2 to the home WiFi router then files are transferred in both direction perfectly.

I do understand that the HotSpot network topology is not the very same as when "phones are connected to the same network". but not totally different either. So my question: Is there really no way to make the p2 to p1 file transfer to happen in the above situation? It is easy and simple task to change the HotSpot from p1 to p2 but in the situation when the p2 is not mine I would not like connect my p1 to that HotSpot of an "unknown" p2.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wifi transfer from phone to another throught HotSpot

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's no problem for the clients to see and connect to the hotspot. However, the hotspot cannot always connect to the clients, because it wants to route the data to the Internet and not to the clients. Therefore you should run the WiFi server on the hotspot, not on the client. It's possible to transfer files in both directions, it's just that the client has to start the transfers, not the hotspot.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TimoA

Post by *TimoA »

Thank you very much. Although, I do not understand what do you mean by saying: "you should run the WiFi server on the hotspot". Is the "WiFi server" the same as: Your 'TotalCMD-Wifi Transfer' -plugin in sending mode? If so, then the only possible direction of file transfer would be from the phone that has the active Android hotspot, to the phone that is connected to that hotspot. In that case, using your plugin and TC on both phones, I could only receive a file from a stranger if I connect my phone, by Android wifi connection, to the Android hotspot of the stranger's phone.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is the "WiFi server" the same as: Your 'TotalCMD-Wifi Transfer' -plugin in sending mode?
Yes, exactly!
If so, then the only possible direction of file transfer would be from the phone that has the active Android hotspot, to the phone that is connected to that hotspot.
No, you can share folders on the phone with the hotspot, and then upload files to that folder - either with TC, or with any web browser. But you need to share a folder, you cannot upload to the root because it holds multiple independent files and folders.
TimoA

Post by *TimoA »

Thank you very much again for you quick answer. I have been trying to find, on the phone, and with Google, a way to share a folder on Android phone but can not find much. I also have installed most of you plugins but none seem to offer a share a folder -option.

I see on the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.wifitransfer the following sentence: "it contains a link to Total Commander in the upper right corner if you use a Web Browser to access the files, and this plugin as the server.". But I see no link to Total Commander in the upper right corner, I do not know if that matters or not.

Likely I'd need to run a smb or sftp server on my phone (with the active hotspot). But instead I will carry an extra small Android phone (or a mobile router) that provides the common access point, so both the phones that transfer files can connect to that, then your 'WiFi/WLAN Plugin for Totalcmd' works perfectly both ways, and at the speed of light compared to the bluetooth, and it will be a safe(er) solution for me.

Thank you very very much for providing all the important tools, free of charge. I recently paid the license for the Windows version o TC as it is too so very capable software.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see no link to Total Commander in the upper right corner
You only see a link to Total Commander when accessing the WiFi plugin from a Web browser, by entering the URL displayed above the QR code.
TimoA

Post by *TimoA »

OK, I finally understand. It works. Thank you very much, I'm deeply grateful for you kind help and patience.