temporary files not erased

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

flurk

temporary files not erased

Post by *flurk »

I have some RAR files containing video files (to keep them together for distribution). To get a quick look at their contents, I simply open the RAR file (double click), select a video file and use quick view to check that file with the new internal viewer in the other panel.

Total Commander then creates a copy of each viewed file in a temporary directory temp\_tc\$q.

However, this directory is not erased when Total Commander exits, and after some time it contains gigabytes of copied video files.

Is there an option to avoid this, or to automatically delete the \_tc\$q directory ?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: temporary files not erased

Post by *sqa_wizard »

By default the viewed files and the \_tc\$q directory are deleted immediately after you return from quick view to normal view.
Added: to be exactly: The quick viewed temporary file is deleted immediately after you switch to the next file.
There may be circumstances which locks the temporary files for a while and inhibits the direct deletion of the file and further the directory itself.
This could be a antivirus scanner or a plugin which had handled the quickview of the file.

A forced deletion of the directory would delete temporary files of other instances of TC too.
Furthermore the temporary files could be still in use by an external viewer (e.g. VLC).
#5767 Personal license
flurk

Post by *flurk »

When I set the "view method by file type" to using only mmedia.wlx64, the temporary directory gets cleaned up as soon as you switch from quick view to normal view, and Total Commander works indeed as you describe.

But when I change the "view method by file type" to "4i" (new internal viewer only) in stead of mmedia.wlx, I quickly get a few dozen big MP4 files in the \_tc\$q directory), and they remain there after closing Total Commander. If you try to "quick view" one of those files afterwards (still from within the RAR archive as I mentioned above), the viewing is of course interrupted by the "overwrite with file" dialog in the temporary directory.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2flurk
But when I change the "view method by file type" to "4i" (new internal viewer only) in stead of mmedia.wlx, I quickly get a few dozen big MP4 files in the \_tc\$q directory), and they remain there after closing Total Commander.
I can confirm this but only for Quick View and Quick View in Separate Window, not in a normal Lister window.

It does not happen with mmedia plugin as default player.

I also noticed this: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=74417
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It sounds like the video file is still open when TC tries to delete it, so Windows cannot delete it. I will probably have to wait longer after you close the player before I delete the file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:19.04.21 Fixed: Quick view (inside the main window or separate) didn't delete temporarily unpacked videos because they were still open in the player (32/64)
Confirmed fixed in TC 10 b7 :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar