Need an option to ignore the <LINK> folders

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

John22

Need an option to ignore the <LINK> folders

Post by *John22 »

I need an option to ignore all the <LINK> folders in Windows 7. The ignore list doesn't help much because I must type in every folder and Windows 7 has too much of this folders.

John
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You may find them all junctions and symbolic links once and add to ignore list:)

Just open search dialog, on Plugins tab add condition 'tc.filetype' = 'reparse point', press Search, then feed results to listbox, copy full paths and insert to ignore list.
Last edited by MVV on 2010-06-20, 07:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
John22

Post by *John22 »

Thanks. It works for most folders from
C:\Program Files\Gemeinsame Dateien\
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Zubehör\
C:\ProgramData\Anwendungsdaten\
C:\ProgramData\Application Data\
to
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Eigene Videos\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\My Music\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\My Pictures\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\My Videos\
but not for these three folders:
C:\Documents and Settings\
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\
C:\Programme\
which I have added manually to the ignore list.

John
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Works fine for me with C:\Documents and Settings - it is the only reparse point in root of system drive on my system.
MossMan

Post by *MossMan »

I saw in another thread ( http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=23462&highlight=ignore+list+symbolic+links ) that Christian mentioned looking at filtering links in synchronisation.

As far as I know that still isn't possible, so I'd like to thank the guys here for saving my life (again - I had TC set up with an ignore list based on this a couple of years ago but lost my settings following a virus-inspired re-install).

Making a quick back-up of Win7 user settings is almost impossible without this tip due to the recursive linking (e.g. application data -> application data -> application data ad infinitum). For this reason I'd also like to mention that it's not practical to search *all* reparse points in one go as mentioned above - I have to pick them off in small batches (search, stop, add to list, back to root, search again...) otherwise you end up with a mile-long ignore list including all those recursions up to a nesting limit.

For this reason, PLEASE Christian, just add a simple option to ignore links!!! (There should probably be an option to white-list certain links in this case...)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually it is possible with an entry in wincmd.ini. From the help:

SyncIgnoreJunctions=0

0: Also follow junctions (reparse points) to directories when synchronizing

1: Exclude directory junctions from synchronizing

Warning: If a directory with the same name exists on the second side, files in it seem to exist only on that side because the junction on the first side is excluded!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MossMan

Post by *MossMan »

Thanks for responding!

But I have to say that it's not only during synchronisation that I would like to ignore linked directories - just browsing user data in Windows 7 is a complete mess without the filters!

For example, it feels like half the content of my main user folder is junk links (in both English and French, since I'm using a French copy of Windows). I have no need for multiple ways (in multiple languages) to get to "my documents". And those links just drag you into more confusion, since once you're through there's no clue what your "real" path is. (Actually, it would also be useful for mouse-hover or right-click to let you see where the link will take you - I couldn't seem to find that info anywhere.)

With the filter active, it is just SO much cleaner and user-friendly... so I would want to activate this by default on any system... e.g. options in the "ignore list" settings window:

[X] Ignore (don't show) reparse points (linked folders)

and if necessary, add a whitelist pane after that:

[ ] Show the following reparse points if "ignore reparse points" is active:
[Mes documents
Bureau
etc...]
Ammammata

Post by *Ammammata »

MVV wrote:You may find them all junctions and symbolic links once and add to ignore list:)

Just open search dialog, on Plugins tab add condition 'tc.filetype' = 'reparse point', press Search, then feed results to listbox, copy full paths and insert to ignore list.
Thank you, this worked also for me

it's a pity that if I set condition 'tc.filetype' != 'reparse point' ... it doesn't work as well
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Problem is that TC can't skip directory from search within it, you can control only final filters that determine if file should be included into results list.
SLcheg

Re: Need an option to ignore the <LINK> folders

Post by *SLcheg »

Hi
I need an ability to exclude link folders from search.
Answers above suggest to find all links first and then insert them into exclude part of search pattern. This works for small number of links, but we use links a lot inside our git repository, so that search gave me 816 entries. It will be hard for me combine them into one string, moreover I suspect it will not be fast for TC to parse such a big string. And the last, if I clone repo into another folder, I will have to start searching these links again to have the list.

If TC had a checkbox's like "Exclude links" it would be brilliant - search within big repository could be much faster. Using plugin for this purpose probably will not help as I understand it filters end result, i.e. file, while I need to exclude everything inside link folder. I mean, if we have following path: Folder1\<FolderLink>\Folder2\Folder3\file.txt then search algorithm could stop digging deeper than Folder1\<FolderLink> if "Exclude links" checked.

Thanks in advance
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2SLcheg

You can either put this parameter in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

IgnoreLinks=8
and restart your TC - then junctions and symlinks will be ignored when searching.
Help wrote:IgnoreLinks=0 Allows you to ignore hard links (junctions, reparse points) to directories in various functions. Note: The function "Synchronize dirs" uses a separate option "SyncIgnoreJunctions".
Sum of:
1: copy/move/calculate occupied space
2: internal packers (zip, tar)
4: branch view
8: find files (except when using Everything), re-scan tree
16: ignore links even when they are selected in the current directory. Otherwise only links in selected subdirectories are ignored.
IgnoreListFile= Points to a plaint text file (path+name) containing a list of names which should be ignored by Total Commander (not shown, copied, deleted etc.). Supports wildcards and names with and without paths (with or without drive). The lines may have one of the following forms:
Or you can install 'Everyting' and enable it when searching, then junctions are also ignored <https://www.voidtools.com/>
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
SLcheg

Post by *SLcheg »

Thanks petermad!
I tried IgnoreLinks=8 and it worked as expected.
Seems like it affected only search and that is what I need.