Add *.lnk to Show Programs filter

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Add *.lnk to Show Programs filter

Post by *Horst.Epp »

As JOUBE said "A completely pointless discussion"
The definitions and usage are clear and there is no room for other interpretions.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Hacker wrote: 2022-07-01, 15:38 UTC
*.lnk files, like *.pif *.cmd *.bat *.exe and *.com files don't have any program associated with it. They are executed themselves.
Why would you think that? There is no set of instructions in a .lnk file. You can check the format specification yourself.
Well that's the term used in the operating system isn't it? The file is executed. As mentioned above, nowadays you can even execute documents.

But my suggestion wasn't because I directly think of .lnk files when I hear the term programs. It's because I think .lnk files are very similar to .pif files. That's why I wrote:
white wrote: 2022-06-30, 23:12 UTC It is weird to have *.pif in this list and not *.lnk
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

The PATHEXT variable contains a list of file extensions that Windows considers to be executable files.

On my system it's value is:

Code: Select all

.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
Perhaps this list or the environment variable should be used.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

white,
Well that's the term used in the operating system isn't it? The file is executed. As mentioned above, nowadays you can even execute documents.
By that logic all files are executable :?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Hacker wrote: 2022-07-01, 19:35 UTC By that logic all files are executable :?
Well it's flexible isn't it. The word can have many meanings. As shown above, Microsoft apparently also has a definition defined by PATHEXT where .MSC files (which are XML files) are executables too.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2white
Not exactly. The PATHEXT variable tells the system which file extensions to try if a command executable is specified without any extension. That's why you can run something like certmgr instead of certmgr.msc on Windows 7 and newer, but not on WinXP because the PATHEXT variable doesn't contain .MSC on the older Windows versions.

If Ghisler were to include script files in this list (like some of the ones listed in PATHEXT), it gets crowded VERY quickly: VBS, PS1, CMD, BAT, PY, PL, PHP, SH, BASH, AU3, AHK and so on and so forth - I guess you see where I'm going ;).

I don't see JavaScript or MSC files as executable. Because if you count those as executable, HTA files are executable too (HTML+JS). It never ends. LNKs can be seen as either, and to me it doesn't really matter if they're listed among .cmd and .exe or not.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

white,
Well it's flexible isn't it. The word can have many meanings.
So what's the point in suggesting to accept a definition that is unclear and ambiguous?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Dalai wrote: 2022-07-01, 21:19 UTC Not exactly. The PATHEXT variable tells the system which file extensions to try if a command executable is specified without any extension.
I know. To me this seemed like a nice definition of what to consider an executable. Powershell documentation describes it this way here:
Other environment variables used by PowerShell wrote:The $env:PATHEXT variable contains a list of file extensions that Windows considers to be executable files.
$env:PATHEXT is similar, but not the same as the PATHEXT environment variable.
And $env:PATHEXT also includes .CPL :P
Dalai wrote: 2022-07-01, 21:19 UTC If Ghisler were to include script files in this list (like some of the ones listed in PATHEXT), it gets crowded VERY quickly: VBS, PS1, CMD, BAT, PY, PL, PHP, SH, BASH, AU3, AHK and so on and so forth - I guess you see where I'm going ;).

I don't see JavaScript or MSC files as executable. Because if you count those as executable, HTA files are executable too (HTML+JS). It never ends.
It does end if you let it be defined by PATHEXT.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

white wrote: 2022-07-01, 22:51 UTCTo me this seemed like a nice definition of what to consider an executable. Powershell documentation describes it this way here:
Other environment variables used by PowerShell wrote:The $env:PATHEXT variable contains a list of file extensions that Windows considers to be executable files.
TXT and DOC files are also executable by that definition when ".TXT;.DOC" is added to this variable (which does work BTW). Doesn't make sense to me.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror