False "Could not Delete" when moving files from remote folder to a nfs share folder.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nsp
Power Member
Power Member

False "Could not Delete" when moving files from remote folder to a nfs share folder.

Post by *nsp »

I have a remote folder mounted as drive N Let Say N:\ is \\ServerMain\Share\Common
On this remote machine I have several NFS mounted point like:
  • Common\Depots\inServer001 is Server001:/Share/Depot
  • Common\Depots\inServer002 is Server002:/Share/Depot
  • Common\Depots\inServer003 is Server003:/Share/Depot
When i move files from N:\Works to N:\Depots\inServer001 i got false alerts (File could not be deleted) this is due to Network latency.
Could it be possible to have an option to not have this popup or extend timeout in this case ?

I also have a network share which is very slow to start as machine have automatic disk sleep (Do not Ask me Why:() i always have a modal popup about connecting.... and -- Read Error -- on the Panel. Could this modal dialog could be not modal and the Tab Locked instead of blocking me ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: False "Could not Delete" when moving files from remote folder to a nfs share folder.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC only shows errors when the underlying Windows functions like DeleteFile return an error. If this is the case, you should try to fix the actual problem and not try to fight against the symptoms. I don't see how network lag should cause DeleteFile to fail. Are you sure that the server doesn't return an error (e.g. not enough free file handles or similar)?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: False "Could not Delete" when moving files from remote folder to a nfs share folder.

Post by *nsp »

I just move on the same "Shared drive" from a regular folder to an nfs share the move is successful.
I made a mistake this is not cannot delete but cannot read/find in this case.
Windows Error is "Could not find this item

This is no longer located in ----- Verify the item's location and try again."

I receive a window error 0x00000002 (The system cannot find the specified file or This is no longer located in ...) reported by TC as cannot read. The move is done by the server without retrieving data to local machine. (Between servers the move is really much faster than doing it from one mounted drive to another ).
The same error is reported by explorer and other file manager even on console i get "The system cannot find the file specified." but the move is done.
TC just report windows error I can live with it !
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's indeed annoying that you get this error, but since you also get it in Explorer and on console there is probably noting I can do - I cannot know when a reported error is real or not.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com