TC 10.50 - Allow opening Quick Search when still loading directory

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Guillaume

TC 10.50 - Allow opening Quick Search when still loading directory

Post by *Guillaume »

I believe this behavior is new since 10.50.

When changing to a directory that takes some time to load (e.g. a large network share, or a partition on a drive that first needs to spin up), I always start to filter the results immediately (in my case ALT+letters).

With the current version, as soon as the directory contents are loaded the quick search is closed, the filter is aborted and the rest of my query ends up in the command line field.
Last edited by Guillaume on 2022-07-29, 14:24 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC 10.50 - Quick Search closes again when directory loaded

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Can you explain in more detail what you want to achieve?
I have tried both TC 10.00 and 10.50 and they behave the same.
When I press Alt+Letter while still loading a very large directory, then nothing happens.

However, there is a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit version when using Letters - with search dialog:
32-bit: the search dialog appears once the directory has been fully loaded
64-bit: nothing happens while still loading.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Guillaume

Re: TC 10.50 - Quick Search closes again when directory loaded

Post by *Guillaume »

I was indeed wrong in my observations.
When I press Alt+Letter while still loading a very large directory, then nothing happens.
For me, part of the query ends up in the command line field, simply because I held the Alt-key for the first 1-2 letters, then continued typing.

It seems to be that a new version of samba introduced the delay recently, which is why I experience the issue more often now. (I went back to TC 10.0 to see if there was any change, but there wasn't).

Still, I think for workflow purposes it would be great if the Quick Search pane could be activated by the user immediately after switching directories, even if the directory isn't loaded yet.